Clean that piston and dispersion screen

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
gunman45

#1: Post by gunman45 »

After the portafilter turned my Joe-Glo black. I did not expect anything less from my "new" purchase:

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

That's pretty! All you have to do is run hot water through that group and you get an "instant coffee" :shock:
LMWDP #445

Advertisement
gunman45 (original poster)

#3: Post by gunman45 (original poster) »

Yeah, it would taste like "instant coffee" brewed during the Vietnam era and only just now enjoyed.... 8)

jpreiser

#4: Post by jpreiser »

Mmm, coffee older than I am; sounds tasty. :twisted:

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

The hole in the piston rod also looks elongated.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

CoffeeBar

#6: Post by CoffeeBar »

Wow, so dirty. My shower screen had badly damaged due the previous owner burn by fire torch to clean the coffee oil. :twisted:

CoffeeBar

#7: Post by CoffeeBar »

drgary wrote:The hole in the piston rod also looks elongated.

Time to change piston rod???

Advertisement
gunman45 (original poster)

#8: Post by gunman45 (original poster) »

Optical illusion, you are seeing the "leading" edges of the pin hole which are beveled but the pin hole is still tight.

rpavlis

#9: Post by rpavlis »

This is one of the very good reasons why one should periodically disassemble the group and clean it very thoroughly! The other reason is that the the piston seals and seal on the top of the group need to be lubricated with "silicone" periodically, and the external moving parts of the lever assembly need to be lubricated with any of several high quality greases that are NOT silicone. It is a bad idea to go for long periods without both of these lubrication operations.

Another thing one can use to clean the accumulated "gunk" from the internal group parts is a bit of 190 proof ethanol, often sold as "Everclear".

It is amazing how much improvement in espresso taste and in mechanical operation there is after such a group servicing when the servicing has been delayed too long!!! I find that I can judge the force required to move the handle when the machine is cold and unpressurised and use that information to indicate when it is time for such a cleaning and servicing.

OldNuc

#10: Post by OldNuc »

That my be from the chamfer and the angle of the picture. Looks OK to me without measuring it.

With heavy use of these La Pavoni machines an every 2 week or so relube and screen clean is a good idea. Over lubing with lube will not lengthen this interval but it does make a nice silicone oil slick on the coffee surface.