Caravel Single or Double Basket?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
oldsoul

#1: Post by oldsoul »

How do I know what size basket I have? 7grams fits nicely but 14grams cannot fit. I've been using Miscela D'oro Gran Crema with 7grams and getting great crema and a very nice shot. I ran out and bought some Cafe Vergnano Terre Alte from Eataly in NYC. No crema and ultra thin.

ilker

#2: Post by ilker »

sounds like single. but who cares? the shots are so good with caravel when you dial in.

The Arrarex Caravel

grog

#3: Post by grog »

Capacity wise it certainly sounds like the single. If you post photos we can confirm.
LMWDP #514

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

Might be a single, but it is also possible that you could get more in there with a different dosing technique. Using a funnel and tapping the basket against a hockey puck to settle the grinds before tamping, I can get up to 12g into my single basket (depending on grind and choice of coffee). These make for very nice shots using one full pull of the lever, usually yielding a shot between 12 and 16g.
LMWDP #435

oldsoul (original poster)

#5: Post by oldsoul (original poster) »

Attached are pics of my basket. If I grind like talc powder I can squeeze 12grams in. Its seems to full to the top though. Like I said I have really been liking the Miscall D'oro Gran Crema but can't seem to pull a decent shot from the Cafe Vergnano Terre Alte.

[creative nickname]

#6: Post by [creative nickname] »

Looks like a double basket to me. I can fit up to 16g in mine.
LMWDP #435

grog

#7: Post by grog »

Yeah, that's a double for sure. 12g could be the limit with a super dark roast. 14g with even city or city+ should be no problem though.
LMWDP #514

sorrentinacoffee

#8: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

yep- that's the double- although there is a larger and very rare VAM double+ basket. The single basket is very uncommon- of course I have a few ;-) but never use them- too small.

oldsoul (original poster)

#9: Post by oldsoul (original poster) »

Ah ha! Thanks guys. So you would recommend experimenting with 12grams on a single pull?

maxbmello

#10: Post by maxbmello »

I would recommend starting around 14 grams and adjust from there - either grind size or dosing.