Caravel power switch

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
pacificmanitou

#1: Post by pacificmanitou »

I spent a bit of time looking and couldnt find the answer, but what do the switches on the back of the caravel do? One of them seem to be a thermostat (which I cant figure out how to use), but the bottom one, the one with a red and green side, what does it do? This is probably something answered simply but Ive got nothing.
LMWDP #366

galumay

#2: Post by galumay replying to pacificmanitou »

The thermostat screw you wind in to reduce the temperature and wind out to increase, the bottom one is the power on/power off switch.
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

sorrentinacoffee

#3: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

This is correct. Take Note; If the two are not correctly calibrated then the power switch may be permanently on regardless of where you turn it: on or off
You can adjust the thermostat with the little dial at the rear: but there is also a screw inside which can also be adjusted if the entire mechanism is out of whack... this is on the models with the 'see-saw' thermostat... Any caravel with a shot thermostat can still be used- just unplug it when it boils. You be the thermostat...

pacificmanitou (original poster)

#4: Post by pacificmanitou (original poster) »

so is red, green, or the center orientation on/off? In my experimenting (limited due to the need of seals currently on the way) red seemed to be on, center seemed to be off, and green seemed to be low or off. I cant tell really.
LMWDP #366

sorrentinacoffee

#5: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

red is off and green is on. There should be no half settings... just On or Off. However as I described- the switch is linked to the thermostat mechanism- it can act oddly if the mechanism is not properly adjusted. In the off position the switch causes the thermostat switch (which is inside the caravel at the fulcrum of the 'see-saw' mechanism to disengage. You should be able to hear that switch clicking as it opens and closes when you turn the power switch. You can use this clicking sound to guide you when and if you have to adjust the mechanism. You should also be able to hear it click distinctly if you grab the small thermostat adjustment dial and pull it out towards you. The power switch and the thermostat dial form the two ends of the see-saw...