Caravel issues

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
wintoid

#1: Post by wintoid »

Hi,

I've just received my second Caravel. This one is a v1.0 and is a bit different from the v2.0 I am used to. I've got a couple of issues, which might be related, and I wondered if anyone had some advice.

Firstly, when I try to clip the water tank part onto the base, it usually takes quite a few goes to get it to clip in. Similarly, I am finding that I can see the hot element down the side of the water tank. I am also finding that the body of the v1.0 is getting much hotter than my v2.0 machine would.

I've read a few comments about adjusting the SEPS, but not really sure what this means or how to do it.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Simon
Simon
LMWDP #486

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

This may help you. I worked through those spring-loaded adjustments on my v 1.0.

Thermostat versus PID on a Caravel
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

wintoid (original poster)

#3: Post by wintoid (original poster) »

Thanks, Gary
Simon
LMWDP #486

#4: Post by wintoid (original poster) »

On my v1.0, the bottom knob at the back controls the temperature, but it's actually two concentric knobs. What do the inner and outer knobs do, actually?
Simon
LMWDP #486

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Can you show us a photo, inside and outside?
Gary
LMWDP#308

#6: Post by wintoid (original poster) »

Hi Gary,

Sorry what I mean is that the knob also has a collar around it which rotates too (I don't mean that there's another knob inside the machine).
Simon
LMWDP #486

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

My v 1.0 knob does not have a separately rotating collar, so it would be interesting to see. To understand how a switch works it helps to have an inside view to see how it is wired. My machine's lower back knob pushes in and rotates. Pushing it in activates the heater. If the kettle is very warm the heater will only stay on when keeping it pushed in. If the kettle has started to cool but has not gotten to the point where it the microswitch at back would automatically reactivate heating, pushing in that knob starts it heating. Dialing the knob adjusts temperature setting. Since yours is different perhaps you can show it. It might be original or aftermarket. The original machines had interesting variations which are worthwhile documenting.
Gary
LMWDP#308

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by dumpshot »

wintoid wrote:Hi Gary,

Sorry what I mean is that the knob also has a collar around it which rotates too (I don't mean that there's another knob inside the machine).
My machine has the same collar that rotates. I am out of town (in LA. Went to Go Get 'Em Tiger today. Fantastic!) so I can't take any pictures. If I remember correctly, the outer collar is the micro adjustment and the inner knob is the macro. The best way to explore it is to take the bottom plate off and turn the machine on its side. Then you can see the mechanism work as you twist the knob back and forth. I think the micro adjustment collar only engages when the macro knob is toward the end of its travel in the "hottest" setting, which is usually where one keeps it set. I remember discussion about the knob direction changing over time, but on my version 1.0 clockwise is "hotter". By this I mean that by turning it clockwise, the heater stays on longer before the microswitch is engaged.

Hope this is clear.

Pete
LMWDP #484