Caravel grind - how fine compared to la Pavoni

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Locopavoni

#1: Post by Locopavoni »

Hi, just after a quick pointer on the Caravel. I am enjoying the shots that I get but am wondering whether I can get a better shot. I am using a Pharos grinder and have the setting pretty well dialed in for my la Pavoni. What I am wondering is whether this setting is also ideal for the Caravel. Quite different shots from both machines with a brighter shot from the caravel compared to a richer mout feel with the Pavoni.

The caravel pull results in a damp puck, but despite this I can't help but think it would benefit from going a bit finer.
Any thoughts are welcome on whether the grind for a la Pavoni is compatible with the caravel.
LMWDP #537

crazy4espresso

#2: Post by crazy4espresso »

What size basket and how much coffee are you using?
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

I was surprised to find I need to go a good bit coarser on the Caravel. Then all of a sudden it produced abundant crema.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

grog

#4: Post by grog »

+1. Definitely coarser for the Caravel than the Pavoni. 14g in the double is perfect for my tastes. You can 'accomplish' dry pucks but it doesn't really make a difference one way or the other.
LMWDP #514

Locopavoni (original poster)

#5: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

Thanks for thoughts.
Pavoni is 49mm double basket, and I use an original double caravel basket with approx 13g in the basket.
I will try a bit coarser and up dosing to 14g and see what results I get.
LMWDP #537

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

If a bit coarser doesn't get it, try coarser still. I was surprised. It was an accidental discovery of trying a vintage Trosser grinder with my Caravel instead of the Pharos. The Trosser happened to be set much coarser and made the shots cafe quality.
Gary
LMWDP#308

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by dumpshot »

I agree in the coarser grind. It wasn't until I got a bottomless ports filter that I discovered that my best extractions - both looking and tasting - were significantly coarser than I previously thought.

Pete
LMWDP #484

IMAWriter

#8: Post by IMAWriter »

drgary wrote:If a bit coarser doesn't get it, try coarser still. I was surprised. It was an accidental discovery of trying a vintage Trosser grinder with my Caravel instead of the Pharos. The Trosser happened to be set much coarser and made the shots cafe quality.
Dr G, I have a very fine KyM manual. Just wondering from rubbing your grind between thumb and forefinger how i=you'd describe the feel of the grind? Salt? Sugar, in between?
Thanks!

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

If you think of espresso for La Pavoni on the fine side and pourover grind on the coarse side 1/3 toward pourover.
Gary
LMWDP#308

IMAWriter

#10: Post by IMAWriter replying to drgary »

Sheesh, higher math! :lol: