Bottomless portafilter for La Pavoni Europiccola

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JFDUP

#1: Post by JFDUP »

Hey,

Do you guys know where I can find one?

Thanks!

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Cafelat has them for either current models or the pre-millenium (49mm grouphead) version.
LMWDP #435

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Searching on "Bottomless portafilter for La Pavoni Europiccola" yielded options from off-the-shelf to DIY. For future inquiries, try the forum search tips; you may find your answer in a previous thread.
Dan Kehn

Katoci

#4: Post by Katoci »

I've bought mine here: www.naked-portafilter.com
Not cheap, but very good looking, specially if you choose the engraved version.

Locopavoni

#5: Post by Locopavoni »

Cafelat are great, they offer a convertible version, which you can get different spouts for. The bottomless portafilter is great! Stainless steel so Should last a lifetime.
LMWDP #537

Dev

#6: Post by Dev »

I was going to buy one of the various options however I read somewhere that there might be some slight tolerance issues with the lugs and with the ease to which it locks in. I also felt that using the brass portafilter was part of heat sink mechanism to keep the head temp stable.
I made my own by buying a circular saw kit from Harbor Fright. In the package there was one that fit perfectly.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-2-12- ... 68114.html

It cut easy because of the soft metal. After it was cut I used a dremel with a stone and cleaned it up. The last stage I used 400 grit sandpaper and worked the cut edges. Overall it was easy work and looks professionally done because the brass was soft.

Paul_Pratt

#7: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Dev wrote:I was going to buy one of the various options however I read somewhere that there might be some slight tolerance issues with the lugs and with the ease to which it locks in.
Er no, the first half a dozen went to forum members and we worked out I needed to chamfer the edge. Since then we have probably over 300 out there and no complaints.
I also felt that using the brass portafilter was part of heat sink mechanism to keep the head temp stable.
About 2 years ago before we sold the first of our steel portafilters I did test the heat up times of various portafilter materials, brass, teflon coated brass, stainless steel and my hybrid all in one stainless. The probe was placed on the underside of the metal bowl of the portafilter and then allowed to heat up. A few dummy shots were pulled and then temps recorded, I cannot find the excel file now but I remember that they were all very similar.

Of course that test is by the by, but you could infer that the heat sink effect of the portafilter, regardless of material, would be similar.

JFDUP (original poster)

#8: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Thank you for the information. I just wished I could buy the portafilter from cafelat here in Canada or at least in the US. In my experience, ordering from Asia takes a lonnnng time.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by FotonDrv »

I am using a Cafelat Bottomless PF in my Londinium and like it very much. I opted to get mine with the rubber handle and the feel is great!

High quality parts all around.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

JFDUP (original poster)

#10: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Is there an online store in the US that sells them?