Bottomless portafilter for 49mm La Pavoni

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kellzey

#1: Post by kellzey »

Anyone know of a bottomless portafilter for the old-style (1974 and earlier) La Pavoni with 49mm portafilter?

Looks 4-5 years ago Richard Penny might have made them.

I think OE made them too, but there might have been fitment issues and don't see them on the site anymore.

Then I see the Cafelat XT Bottomless portafilters, but I see a note that it's not for the "small lever" Pavoni... I assume they mean either the Europiccola or specifically the 49mm version.

And the last resort would be modding (i.e., hacking my existing portafilter or a replacement if I can find one).

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

kellzey wrote:And the last resort would be modding (i.e., hacking my existing portafilter or a replacement if I can find one).
Another option is carefully photographing and measuring the standard portafilter for a first-generation La Pavoni Europiccola and comparing that to photos and measurements of a 49mm Richard Penney bottomless portafilter. Since I have both I will post photos and measurements later today. If they are very similar when I get my classic Europiccola reassembled (within the next two days probably) I can let you know if the Penney PF fits.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
kellzey (original poster)

#3: Post by kellzey (original poster) »

That would be great. Thanks!

I am in no hurry. I leave for vacation on Sunday and have to rebuild mine when I get back.

I have the complete gasket kit coming from Francesco... I have built the tools for the brass sleeve removal.

The unit I obtained is in really good condition. It has the original light brown hammerite base which is in great shape (a few chips, but no rust).

I do have the original portafilter and double basket (with dual spouts). I'd just like to use a bottomless to see my shot technique as I learn.

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

Stefano has the 49mm PF at a reasonable price - http://www.espressocare.com/products/it ... millennium - and for another $15.00 he will drill it for you.

I have a Richard Penney that fits my Pavoni after a little filing on the ears. Besides the ears, it has a fit issue (discussed here) that I think Richard may have corrected in his newer iterations.

Edit:
Doh! I need to read more carefully - OP wanted a pre 1974,
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#5: Post by kellzey (original poster) replying to homeburrero »

Is there a difference between pre-millenium 49mm and the early 49mm?

Phasor

#6: Post by Phasor »

Hi Kellzey. I don't know the details of this listing below, but Gabor might have the pre-1974 portafilters. He seems to have one for his personal vintage model.

[AD] Naked portafilters for the Caravel, Olympia Cremina and La Pavoni Europiccola

best of luck with it.

homeburrero
Team HB

#7: Post by homeburrero »

There are 3 versions of 49mm according to Francesco Ceccerelli ( http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... ro_eng.htm .)

I think the main difference between the one you can buy now and the earlier one is in the lever handle threading. I think (Stefano would know) that a complete portafilter would fit your pre-1974 machine.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Advertisement
pootoogoo

#8: Post by pootoogoo »

You can find a repertory with dimensions here (in french and metric but you should be able to find out).
Check if the Pre-Millenium dimensions correspond to yours and if it's the case there is cheaper solution (from a ROK naked PF, by slightly reducing the ears). Demonstrated here at the end of the post... in french also.

rpavlis

#9: Post by rpavlis »

I have 1999, 1978, and 1964 Europiccolas. All three have rather different portafilters, but they seem to be completely interchangeable. The 1999 uses M12 threads to attach the handle whilst the older ones use M10.

The 1964 threaded rod shows absolutely no rust or corrosion. I have replaced the other two with brass ones.

It would be something of a sacrilage to hack up a rare 1964 portafilter!

La Pavoni 49mm quality seems to have deteriorated with each change.

#10: Post by kellzey (original poster) »

Thank you everyone for the replies and wealth of information.