Bottomless portafilter for 49mm La Pavoni - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

rpavlis wrote:I have 1999, 1978, and 1964 Europiccolas. All three have rather different portafilters, but they seem to be completely interchangeable. The 1999 uses M12 threads to attach the handle whilst the older ones use M10.

The 1964 threaded rod shows absolutely no rust or corrosion. I have replaced the other two with brass ones.
That looks definitive to me. No need for me to post pix or measurements (thanks to Sebastien for that).

For anyone not quite familiar with the three generations of La Pavoni manual home levers, this means there's functional compatibility between the first two generations (early vintage 1961 - 1974, and second-generation aka "pre-Millennium" 1975 - 1999). The Millennium machines, third-generation, have 51mm portafilters that are incompatible with the first two generations.

I don't believe the Richard Penney 49mm bottomless portafilter will be compatible with my first-generation machine, because it did not quite fit the pre-Millennium machine I once had. If I find out differently I'll post here.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

rpavlis

#12: Post by rpavlis »

It really should not be difficult to machine a portafilter for these machines. The "ears" are chiral (handed). The La Pavoni ones are LEFT handed, whilst MCAL and many others are RIGHT handed. Were it not for the "ears", one could make a naked portafilter in a few minutes using just a band saw and lathe, and making a "dressed" one would not be all that much more difficult. Even with the "ears" the task would be all that difficult.

drgary
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary »

I just looked at my Richard Penney portafilter and the ears are not directional, so it just may be a matter of filing them to fit.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

kellzey (original poster)

#14: Post by kellzey (original poster) »

rpavlis wrote:It really should not be difficult to machine a portafilter for these machines.
Of course it's not difficult unless you don't own a lathe or CNC machine, or don't have proper metal working machinery, like me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul_Pratt

#15: Post by Paul_Pratt »

I have started both types, in stainless and with the optional bottom plate with spouts. We are making the wax pattern molds now. It should be fairly straightforward, but you never know.

kellzey (original poster)

#16: Post by kellzey (original poster) replying to Paul_Pratt »

Great! Keep me posted. I'd definitely buy an XT Portafilter for the La Pavoni Europiccola in 49mm

naked-portafilter

#17: Post by naked-portafilter »

Thanks Jamie for mentioning my ad (in Canada I've sold three Naked portafilters already :-)). Yes, I'm offering NPF for the premillenium Pavoni as well. The first ones were machined just for our film (http://youtu.be/DvgcPQES7VM), but after the release the pressure was growing and the feed back too tempting.....

The first series was just for testing the demand for it.

Folks are happy with them:

http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.hu/20 ... ngary.html

There won't be any mass production of them in the future neither but I will start a small web-shop for them till mid of November.