Boni Little (Caravel type): How to remove piston?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
beer&mathematics

#1: Post by beer&mathematics »

It's me again, and I still can't figure out how to remove the piston from the group. :oops:
I suspect removing the pin is the key, but no clue how to accomplish that. Some pictures:

The group gasket appears to be in good shape, so I suspect the seals would be too. But I do want to take everything apart so I can clean it and re-lube with some Dow111.

Thanks in advance!
LMWDP #431

Cmtwgr

#2: Post by Cmtwgr »

If the pin is spring loaded, press it in with a pointy tool , and pull up the top part at the same time

just my best guess :?

peacecup

#3: Post by peacecup »

OK, first of all I've never seen that machine - did you post about it already?

Second, I don't have a clue how to remove the piston. Does Francisco have a photo of the disassembled machine on his website? One might guess that the little hole has something to do with it. Or possibly brute force?
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#4: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Cmtwgr wrote:If the pin is spring loaded, press it in with a pointy tool , and pull up the top part at the same time

just my best guess :?
I tried pushing it in with a phillips screwdriver with a towel covering it, but was scared to push too hard. Also, I didn't try pulling up simultaneously. It might be worth another try.
peacecup wrote: OK, first of all I've never seen that machine - did you post about it already?
I did on the Caravel thread, but not on the Lever espresso machine gallery yet. I am waiting until I have tried pulling a shot to do that. :wink:
peacecup wrote: Second, I don't have a clue how to remove the piston. Does Francisco have a photo of the disassembled machine on his website? One might guess that the little hole has something to do with it. Or possibly brute force?
Francesco does have photos of the Boni Little completely taken apart. That's how I got the hint that the top pin is the key. I emailed him but, unfortunately, he did not remember how to take it apart.
LMWDP #431

peacecup

#5: Post by peacecup »

Well, good lick with it. We'll look forward to seeing it in action. One of these days I'll get up the nerve to chop a PV portafilter to get my VAM running.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by dumpshot »

If it is designed just like the Caravel, then try twisting the top bracket to get the pin to recess. On my VAM, clockwise makes the pin recess and CCW pushes it out.

Pete
LMWDP #484

grog

#7: Post by grog »

Why not try pulling a shot without disassembling it? Was the boiler filthy and you are concerned that the piston is nasty?
LMWDP #514

Cmtwgr

#8: Post by Cmtwgr »

peacecup wrote:Well, good lick with it. We'll look forward to seeing it in action. One of these days I'll get up the nerve to chop a PV portafilter to get my VAM running.

PC

Ahh i would wait ;o)
i am planning to make some portafilters that takes the basket from either the peppina or Ponte vechio ,,or both

this winters projekt + other portafilters

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#9: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

dumpshot wrote:If it is designed just like the Caravel, then try twisting the top bracket to get the pin to recess. On my VAM, clockwise makes the pin recess and CCW pushes it out.

Pete
Pete, really hopes it works as you describe! I'm not sure if I tried that but I feel like I did. Next time I take it apart, I will definitely keep this advise in mind.
grog wrote:Why not try pulling a shot without disassembling it? Was the boiler filthy and you are concerned that the piston is nasty?
Greg, this is what I eventually ended up doing tonight. Pulled my first two shots with the Boni Little without disassembling the piston (still no idea how to do this). The open boiler had some light scale, but I gave it some light and short vinegar baths and that seems clean. Also flushed the group with that vinegar and water mixture.

Thanks to everyone with the advise/comments. The Little is not that easy to take apart (lots of annoying tiny screws to remove), so the above suggestions will have to wait until I get the energy/time to take it apart again.

The manual lever is a whole different beast! :shock:
LMWDP #431

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

What about pushing in the button in the front so it doesn't catch in the retention hole and putting your fingers in the slots in the top to turn it out? Caravel pistons work very much like that. No tools are needed.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!