Bezzera Strega- Fascinating machine-- does the grouphead move when pressing lever?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
doublehelix

#1: Post by doublehelix »

Been watching Jim Schulman's incredible videos describing the good, bad and ugly regarding the Bezzera Strega. Never thought I'd consider purchasing a spring lever machine, but this phenomenal espresso "instrument" is very intriguing.....

I may be wrong, but while watching Jim's videos, I noticed that the massive grouphead shifted and wiggled on the machine when the lever was yanked down.
Just wondering if this really happened????

If so, is this action problematic?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

It never happened on mine in over 3 years of use.
LMWDP 267

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

It's been a while since I've watched his videos, so I could be wrong, but I wonder if there's a component of flex to the polished faceplate that is giving a more pronounced impression? Mine never did.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Simply as an FYI, the Bezzera Strega, Mitica, and Magica are all built on the same chassis part number - 5340003.05LL .

In the few years that I owned a Strega, chassis flex was so minimal as to be unnoticeable. It is a good machine and, as previously posted, well represented in the HB community.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

doublehelix (original poster)

#5: Post by doublehelix (original poster) »

Folks--thanks for the rapid feedback! Thought this was the case--SOLID--the HB community is surely very critical and discerning, but just wanted to check.

And...

After reading as many posts as I could on this machine.....
I'll need to find a location near me where I can actually handle this machine given the visceral mode for espresso making, which makes this machine very appealing to me.

I'll also start researching posts on the Salvatore and Londinium lever machines...

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

doublehelix wrote:I may be wrong, but while watching Jim's videos, I noticed that the massive grouphead shifted and wiggled on the machine when the lever was yanked down.
Just wondering if this really happened????

If so, is this action problematic?
Good catch. There is more flex on my machine than others. The machine was mishandled during transport, and the frame is slightly bent. It wasn't severe enough to make it worth the bother replacing the machine; but it did increase the flex of the case when pulling down the lever. It hasn't affected the reliability of my machine, and I kind of like that it's a little crooked.
Jim Schulman

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

another_jim wrote:..., and I kind of like that it's a little crooked.
Fitting, given the name :lol:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

DanoM

#8: Post by DanoM »

I have an older Strega like Jim's with that flex on the front. Glad that they have addressed it in newer versions, but it's never been a problem on my machine so far.

My wife does notice it, because she stands to the side of the machine when I pull. I rarely notice the minimal flex, but what I do notice is the lovely espresso!!!

If you become a lever convert you'll be hooked for life!
Be Ye Fore Warned! :twisted: :twisted:
LMWDP #445

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

doublehelix wrote:I'll need to find a location near me where I can actually handle this machine given the visceral mode for espresso making, which makes this machine very appealing to me.
1st-Line Equipment sells the Strega.They're in Freehold, NJ.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

doublehelix (original poster)

#10: Post by doublehelix (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:Good catch. There is more flex on my machine than others. The machine was mishandled during transport, and the frame is slightly bent. It wasn't severe enough to make it worth the bother replacing the machine; but it did increase the flex of the case when pulling down the lever. It hasn't affected the reliability of my machine, and I kind of like that it's a little crooked.
Good to hear that chassis flexing does not present any issues and actually brings a smile.

(As an aside, could imagine that chassis flexing presents some extra work when yanking the lever, but it's likely minor.)