Bezzera Strega clickety-clack water sensor FIX

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
DanoM

#1: Post by DanoM »

I know I'm not the only person that has had issues with the Bezzera Strega water sensor sometimes going crazy and the relay clicking on and off. When I stated using Crystal Geyser water it would sometimes go crazy like that, sometimes adding a little bit of my tap water would help, but it wasn't a sure fix.

The Crystal Geyser water seems to have enough conductivity that the sensor works most of the time, so I needed to address other conductivity issues. Many people have bypassed the low water sensor, but I prefer to keep it in place if I can so I concentrated on fixing that. Luckily around the house I had some silver thermal paste used for CPU heat sink applications. I put a small dab on the conduction wire to metal tab area as well as the conduction points on the sides of the tank.

Since I've put the paste in place I have no more clickety-clack from the machine's relay, and all is running beautifully. Not all thermal pastes are conductive, but the ones that are silver bearing should conduct quite well.
My particular brand of compound was Arctic Silver (purchased at local computer store):
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Hope this helps someone else out there. Not messy if you use a tiny bit.
LMWDP #445

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Hey, thanks, this is a really easy fix since I have the paste sitting right here on our tech's bench. He will feel worried when I borrow the tube to "make coffee". :D

As soon as I saw "clickety-clack" in your post I could hear my Strega in my head. I also never wanted to wire around the switch, so this is perfect.
LMWDP #371

DanoM (original poster)

#3: Post by DanoM (original poster) »

When filling the machine up yesterday I remembered the relay clicks I would often get then. Haven't heard it for a few weeks since this mod, so it was time to share.

It would probably help sensor electrical conduction for other reservoir machines too if needed. :wink:
LMWDP #445

nickw

#4: Post by nickw »

Good thought, thanks for the idea.

Drives me nuts as well. I use filtered water, but have taken to adding/some tap water as well, which helps in a large enough quantity. Typically done in the afternoon/evening so the chlorine can evaporate before my next morning's use.