Bezzera Milano or similar group best practices

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
HBfencing

#1: Post by HBfencing »

Hey All:

I've been lucky enough to acquire an almost pristine Bezzera Milano and it appears that the original owner hardly used it.

I have a couple of observations/questions and hopefully those that have this particular machine or something close to it can chime in.

(1) I ditched the original PF and basket in favor of a RP bottomless PF. Fits and works great. I'm using an elektra basket with the RP PF but it seems like 14g is the maximum I can use on this machine. If I use more than 14g I'll get some coffee on the screen and around the inside of the group head. Not a lot but 14g seems to be the sweet spot. If other users dose more than 14g please tell me what the routine is. Probably triple basket?

(2) When I run water through the group I get a steady stream of droplets not a jet like stream similar to HB member Justin Ancera in his YouTube video. Not sure if this has something to do with the seals or anything to be concerned about. The stream is dispersed but weaker. I also hear a squeak when I pull down the lever. I'll open it up and use some food safe lubricant around the seals but don't think that has anything to do with the water stream.

(3) I typically do one pull 14grams in and 22grams in or 23 grams out. Can you get a true double from one pull on this machine?

(4) The steam wand is difficult to use with only one tip. Luckily I don't drink much milk with my espresso so not an issue for me but just an observation. Probably need much more practice on this to get anything close to resembling latte art.

(5) The water wand I found useless as well. More steam than water but still enough water to fill a six ounce cup for an americano. It goes from water to intermittent steam to water. Can this have something to do with the setting of the pressure stat? Boiler cycles between 1.2 and 1.4 bar.

(6) Is the group thermally stable or what technique does one use ? I'm going to install some temperature strips to get an idea.

(7) I know member Beer & Mathematics used elektra seals to fit but had a hard time fitting them on the piston. Any idea of where to source OEM seals? Don't need any now but want to source for the future.

I'll post some pics of the machine (and hopefully a video) when I get a chance and thanks in advance for your input.

aaronmaestri

#2: Post by aaronmaestri »

Hi I used to have one of these machines many years ago.
As I recall It was fairly stable and could stay on for long periods without overheating. Its a straight dipper so there is no HX water to get overheated, the water should be the same temp until the boiler is empty.

HBfencing (original poster)

#3: Post by HBfencing (original poster) »

Thanks Aaron.

I find that the bezzera takes a little bit more time than the cremina to heat up. I am going to purchase some temp strips at OE but hate to put them on that nice group.