Bezzera Family Lever - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
beer&mathematics (original poster)

#51: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

More progress, more questions:
First, can these things be removed?

Second, how do I remove these doo-hickeys from the boiler?

Thanks in advance :)
LMWDP #431

#52: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Actually, removed the power switch but ended up breaking the plastic in the back.
LMWDP #431

penrod

#53: Post by penrod »

beer&mathematics wrote:Me again, I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the steam and hot water wands since they have a nut on the back that I can't remove. Any tips?
Too late for you now I guess but the steam and water wands on my lusso remove tip last and it looks like the bezzera may do the same. With as many curves as the bezzera wands had in them the boiler might have needed to come out first.

cuppajoe

#54: Post by cuppajoe »

On doohickey removal-

If there are two places to put a wrench, use two, and put opposite force on each to free the outermost one. Regarding the different parts of the machine that go through the front panel, use proper sized wrench and turn in opposite directions. Plastic switches and the like have locking tabs, press in. If resistance is met, stop and take stock.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

kursiv

#55: Post by kursiv »

Wow what a crazy looking pressurestat you got there. Interesting to see if that thing works. What is the part that sticks out to the right of pstat?

The pstat is screwed into a threaded boiler fitting. Should be easy to remove.

kursiv

#56: Post by kursiv »

-- Just found this photo. My original Sopac pstat looked a bit pale in comparison.

#57: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

No progress since last update, but a first disappointment: piston seals arrived from Stefanos and not sure if they will work. I'll take a pic later but they must be 60% the size of the originals (meaning they are much smaller). Also, the group to front plate ss bolts I bought are too small. As always OEs advise is on point...
LMWDP #431

drgary
Team HB

#58: Post by drgary »

Way back a couple pages ago the piston may unscrew from the spring using holes for gripping with some kind of spanner wrench. If steam and water taps have a nut inside the boiler you may need to disassemble the boiler to get at them. The insulation was probably glued to the inside of the case. I'm offering these as possibilities, not having our machine as they may be similar to what I encountered in my Conti Prestina restoration. For instance I built a heavy duty spring clamp only to find out I didn't need it.

Added: Per the next post there are apparently design issues with the steam wand and water tap.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

sorrentinacoffee

#59: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

I have one of these half restored... Concerning the steam and water wands: you are right- bending them is the only way to remove them. They must have been soldered/welded into place. But they will snap quite easily as well when you try and bend them back into place... AND- after you have restored everything you will find that the milk steam arm is next to useless. It has a giant hole in the tip (4mm) which makes great big ugly bubbles. The water wand is not much better. The old Sama Club machines had the exact same sh**ty steam wand. I have 4 of these machines in all- all in need of a new steam wand. I have tried to find anyone with the know how to make some new ones for me but so far have failed miserably. If you end up in the same boat (as I fully expect) lets see if we can't collectively get someone to solve this issue for us :) I am ready to order 4 sets.

#60: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Thanks for chiming in Dr. Gary -- I'm reading your thread as I go but I'm also slow ... Only on page 17 :oops:

Jack, more bad news! Ack, I'd be down for a group buy for some new steam wands as long as the curves are there ;) although, I have no idea how to go about finding someone to do this
LMWDP #431