Benefits of new spring on old (Prestina) lever machine?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
negrocorto

#1: Post by negrocorto »

Now that my machine is almost completely torn down to replace the element, and all the sheet metal is being powder coated or polished, It occurred to me that the piston spring is over fifty years old; it's the only part of the machine that I have not replaced or rebuilt. Should I go ahead and replace the spring? For those of you who have done so, have you noticed a difference in the shots you are pulling, before and after?

I understand that Allann Bros is going phase out their parts inventory, at least for the Prestina, so I'll probably go ahead and buy the spring, at least to have it handy, but don't know if I should go ahead and instal it. Like the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Gary, I searched your rebuild journal, but couldn't find an answer. If it's there but I missed it, can you send the link where that is discussed?

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Albert,

I don't think I really address it. I remember at one point taking a photo of the new and old springs side by side and the old one was slightly shorter. This is an inexpensive part and one you might as well install to be sure the group is running up to spec.

Regarding Allann Brothers phasing out the parts inventory for the Prestina, that inventory was limited anyway as many parts have been unobtainium for years. Conti is still making the Prestina group and installing it in its commercial lever machines, so replacement parts for that should be easy to buy.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
Satara

#3: Post by Satara »

An old Spring is getting weak and is wearing out.
Just put a new one on, you can do that by hand in just 10 min. I Did
then taste your coffee it schould be better because of the better pressure
if you dont like... put the old one back on :)

A original Conti Spring you can get here.

http://www.eevad.com/

i think it was under Conti Classic manual Group

Cheers,

Dante.
Dante.

J`Maintiendrai

LMWDP #424