Aurora Europa needs service

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
hbrocks

#1: Post by hbrocks »

Hi everyone,
First post!
Thanks for the board...excited to learn and become a part of the community!

We're in So Calif.
Father-in-law has an older Aurora Europa that's been sitting for about 5 years or so. It needs some service and he asked me to look into what our options might be.
Found a nice write up with pictures over on the Orphan Espresso site.
http://www.orphanespresso.com/Aurora-Br ... 651-1.html

Is this a DIY project?...Do they make kits for these?
Or....can I get a reference to a good place to take this in Southern Calif to have it done?

Just not sure if I need someone to do this for me or if we can handle it ourselves.

Excited to learn the art! :D

kitt

#2: Post by kitt »

Hi, and welcome to H-B , hopefully a moderator will move this to the correct forum (lever machines)

The Orphan espresso article is excellent, and if you click on 'lever gaskets and seals' on the site, you will see a section for the main piston seals, and a few others. At the least i'd suggest new boiler gasket,safety valve, descale, re-build the group and valves. Whether you can do it depends on how technically minded you are, but there's plenty of people on here willing to help.

These Aurora come in a few different versions , both heat exchanger (2 types) and non heat exchanger. Good luck, they are a superb machine, i used to own one.

hbrocks (original poster)

#3: Post by hbrocks (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply Kitt...!

Very excited to get this up and running for my father-in-law!
He's a master pastry chef from Germany and this was his only espresso machine from the bakery!

He'd be tickled to see it up and running!

kitt

#4: Post by kitt »

No problems , hard to tell from your pic, but it looks like it might be auto fill version, as opposed to the manual fill.

Here's a link for more info, these were also known as 'termozona' in the states

Clevis to Lever - further explorations in Espresso Space

Brugnetti Aurora restoration

andyone

#5: Post by andyone »

kitt wrote:...but it looks like it might be auto fill version, as opposed to the manual fill.
I didn't even know that there has been an auto fill version... Do you know if that has been an option at every period of production time or just during a certain period?

Thx

Andy

kitt

#6: Post by kitt replying to andyone »

I'm not sure , but Doug mentions removing the auto fill from his version also, maybe it was an american market add-on? Hard to tell from the above pic, but it looks like a solenoid under the drip tray, and no manual fill valve with 2 pipes? The HX versions have 2 pipes, but i'm guessing the non HX versions just had one. Here's how my HX manual fill version looked;

Paolo

#7: Post by Paolo »

Hi Mike....your (old) Aurora STILL* looks like that!

*Except that now it resides in my kitchen in Australia...still pulls like a bull in Springtime....

Had a laugh.....It caught me offguard seeing a picture of my machine on HB and knowing that I didn't put it there!

#8: Post by hbrocks (original poster) »

Planning an Aurora "tear-down" session this weekend.
I'll be looking for some guidance as I go so....I'll probably just post here in this thread rather than start another?

I'll take pictures and post my questions as they come up!

Happy Halloween!

Edit (update)
I just spoke with a Tech here in Orange county that is going to take a look at our Aurora and give me a quote for service....
If anyone has a good "punchlist" of items that should be discussed for service please share!
I found the blow-up schematic of the machine over on the OE site that I've printed out....I plan on using that when meeting with him to discuss what he'll go through.

Thanks

andyone

#9: Post by andyone »

Hi.

Lovely machine - I got also one but unfortunetaly the mount for the piston spring has been broken...

Here a two threads on the German Kaffeenetz - in German but you may see some details on the pictures...

Andy

http://www.kaffee-netz.de/reparatur-und ... hebel.html

http://www.kaffee-netz.de/espresso-und- ... netti.html

#10: Post by hbrocks (original poster) »

Thanks Andy....!
Great pictures on that thread.

I just noticed the lever on ours is completely frozen up and will need to be re-built too.
Found the Local tech here in Orange county and we're meeting Friday to discuss the rebuild.

Thanks for posting!