Attaching a pressure gauge to the Olympia Cremina

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
TUS172

#1: Post by TUS172 »

On another thread I mentioned that I had planned on setting a gauge where the safety OPV was. Well this is what it looks like finished. I used stainless fittings that have the European threading and a Stainless gauge rated to over 200. Degrees F.
I have yet to receive the package for moving the OPV to just over the pressurestat.

For the gauge and its parts, I went to McMaster Carr. It took as I recall a 1/4 BSPP Male to 1/4 NPT Male fitting then a 1/4NPT Female to 1/8NPT Female reducer then the gauge is a 1/8NPT male.

The tubing for the pressurestat is 8mm. So I ordered a 8mm T fitting that had compression tube fittings with the center fitting being a 1/4BSPP female for the Safety OPV. All the parts are stainless steel. This last fitting came from Serto. Good luck... :)
Bob C.
(No longer a lever purist!)
LMWDP #012

mogogear

#2: Post by mogogear »

Well aren't you clever!?

Nicely done, be sure to share the OPV set up when you are done!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

espressme

#3: Post by espressme »

TUS172 wrote:On another thread I mentioned that I had planned on setting a gauge where the safety OPV was. Well this is what it looks like finished. I used stainless fittings that have the European threading and a Stainless gauge rated to over 200. Degrees F.
I have yet to receive the package for moving the OPV to just over the pressurestat.
<image>
That is a real clean and apparently safe layout! I like it! 8)
rp
ditto mogo!
richard penney LMWDP #090,

TUS172 (original poster)

#4: Post by TUS172 (original poster) »

The part I need is made by a manufacturer from, guess where?... Switzerland... a company called Serto. I searched the net, made calls and did all the digging I could to find a high quality, sleek, one part solution to do the job. It turns out that metric "specialty" fittings are only special ordered from one company in North America (not Canada)... Give me a break... If I would have used the NPT type in stainless the part would have cost 19.00 at McMaster Carr. But since it is special ordered from Switzerland the same part is 62.00 plus shipping from the warehouse once it gets to the US. Yes I could have used the NPT part and 'Jerry rigged' it with BSP adapters but it would have looked like crap, cost almost as much and probably taken up way too much space. So how long does it take to get the part? 1 month, well 3 weeks now... :?

Anyway the gauge works great. It reads up to 30 PSI (just over 2 bars) and I have found that the pressurestat in the Cremina has a 3.5 - 4.0 PSI swing between shut-off and back on. I set the max for 12.5 PSI and it has been doing just a great job right at that point with my blend and grind.
Bob C.
LMWDP #012

TUS172 (original poster)

#5: Post by TUS172 (original poster) »

Just in case someone on this post wanted to see the end result with the placement of the safety valve.
Bob C.
LMWDP #012

mogogear

#6: Post by mogogear »

Nice factory fresh looking job. Minimal and simple
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

mturkel99

#7: Post by mturkel99 »

Bob, what do you mean by BSPP? Where are the options for threading?

mturkel99

#8: Post by mturkel99 »

Actually, can you tell me what I need to know to get this part from Serto?

TUS172 (original poster)

#9: Post by TUS172 (original poster) »

Edited:
If you just want to temporarily attach a gauge... No need to go to Serto... I have since sourced a part from McMaster Carr at a much lower price. The part # is 4860K653... This part from McMaster is nickel plated brass and can withstand pressures that far exceed the cremina's capabilities. It still attaches to the point over the sight glass.

BSPP stands for 'British Standard Pipe Parallel' threads... Remember that Creminas are not made in the US. Yes they are different from US threading.

The Serto 'tee' was Stainless and is designed for extreme pressures... it is only needed if you plan on a permanent attachment.

Note that if you plan to permanently affix a gauge to the Cremina you will need an adapter that will get you up and above the cover plate for the Cremina. (note the pictures) The parts needed are different under the gauge and the gauge will need to be purchased as a 1/8" NPT threaded for attachment. That is because when I was sourcing there were some pieces that I did not bother to go afar for... and decided to go with US NPT stuff.

This is also when you will have to buy additional parts such as the tubing to threaded 'tee' (Serto) for the reattachment of the OPV valve over to the side of the boiler above the pressurestat. (note pictures)

Sorry mturkel99 I was editing as you replied...
Bob C.
LMWDP #012

mturkel99

#10: Post by mturkel99 »

I can edit too! I want to go the more permanent route. What do I need - what are the exacty specs of the serto part (the details are confusing).