Astoria Propane Conversion

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bm_cricket

#1: Post by bm_cricket »

Well... I just did it. I submitted my order for a propane kit for my (not so) little beauty. Does anyone have suggestions on how to install it? I assume it comes as a bolt-on-kit. I know my frame and plumbing is built to handle it. I don't really know how it fits into the plumbing on the top of my boiler but hopefully I can sort that out once it is in my hands. I know that a few people have done it and I've seen your threads here. Did anything crop up and make you think "Oh, well darn, that could have been a lot easier if only I xyz first"...?

BTW, this is the current state of my machine. I loaded it up with some glassware from the sale of Bodum stuff a few months back.
Life is short, enjoy every sip.

2StrokeBloke

#2: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

Nice looking machine and cool backlight.
What is your plan with the propane conversion?
Moving it out to the garage or taking it to markets?

bm_cricket (original poster)

#3: Post by bm_cricket (original poster) replying to 2StrokeBloke »

It's going out to Burning Man. If you aren't familiar with Burning Man, it's a temporary city of about 60,000 people in the high desert in Nevada. It forms for about 1 month in August on a dry lake bed in northern Nevada. The participants bring in all their own resources including fuel, power, water, food, shelter, gourmet espresso, home-brewed beer (you get the idea). While I could figure out a way to power it on 230v it would be a lot easier to do propane. On top of that I can only assume that running a 230v resistance element on a generator rated for <10kw would be spotty at best. I know that my machine barely pushes 15A on 230v but having run electric heaters on generators I know that they don't behave properly.

One question I've had all this time relates to water filling. What is the best way to pump water into the tank when it isn't running on 220v? My machine has a manual fill but I was considering automatic options. What about making a 12v or 24v solenoid and fill switch? Or what about rewiring it for 4-wire hot-hot-neutral-ground (right now it is hot-hot-ground). I could wire it up so that when only one of the 220v legs are hot, the auto fill still works but when both of them are hot the pressurestat and element light up.... So many options?
Life is short, enjoy every sip.

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#4: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

love the selfie! haaa.
I think you can run a Flojet pump from a 12v battery to manual fill the boiler on demand, it's easy to do.
I need to reference your rebuild pics later, I can't remember if your machine came with gas fittings already or not. I have to um get back to work for now. :wink:
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun