Astoria commercial lever machine restoration/modification - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
perfectwheels (original poster)

#11: Post by perfectwheels (original poster) »

Thanks Tom,
Yes tools...I love them. You wouldn't think a is welder necessary for drinking coffee but sometimes it is.
Larry-

norschtein

#12: Post by norschtein »

particularly love your drawing, larry...!!

Advertisement

#13: Post by perfectwheels (original poster) »

Thanks Robert!
Yes, new springs are probably a good idea. I'm sure there are varying philosophies on hx vs non-hx....but since my machine has one I'm all for it.
Larry-

norschtein

#14: Post by norschtein »

your custom made bikes and lever PERFECTLY complement each other.

#15: Post by perfectwheels (original poster) »

Yesterday I spent driving around Seattle sourcing materials. The steel for the cup rack was easily obtained from Pacific Industrial Supply in South Park. Material for the surround is proving to be more difficult.

I came across this post by rotchitos in the lever forum gallery

Lever Espresso Machine Gallery

I really liked what he has done with the plastic. I think it would be great for my machine if I could get it in the right thickness.

The exposed edge of the thin plexi works with this smaller machine but with the larger Astoria I think the edge needs to be a minimum of 5/16 inch. I find that this is hard to find and very expensive in plastic. Power coated aluminum is another possibility but also expensive in the heavier plate. Painted wood could work but is not my first choice.

Off to see if Second Use has any interesting salvage material.

Larry-

#16: Post by perfectwheels (original poster) »

I was going to work on the cup rack today but instead found some material for the surround at Second Use. I found a couple of $10 cabinets that had some beat up Lexan counters on them. I took the tops and left the cabinets to be sold for $10 again.

I chiseled the wood off and used a belt sander on the glue.

Lexan is pretty easy to work with but the sawdust is less than desirable. I used a skilsaw, router and sander to rough out my shapes. The shop vac was also helpful. I will need to do quite a bit more sanding but that can wait.

I had to weld in some more tabs on the back of the frame.

I'm not sure if I love it yet. I'll have to wait until the cup rack is done...that should help tie things together.

Larry-

Chert

#17: Post by Chert »

Larry,

Give a shout to Sky when you can. He set me up with the Astoria machine I rebuilt in 2010. My mods continue on mine but it looks like you'll have yours making tasty spro in a few days yet. Thanks for the tip about Second Use; I had never heard of it before.
LMWDP #198

Advertisement

#18: Post by perfectwheels (original poster) »

Will do Flint...Sky mentioned your project when I saw him on Sunday...I had already read about your machine...great thread! Yours was one of a couple that helped inspire my project. Thanks!
Larry-

drgary
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary »

Larry:

I agree that these commercial lever groups need to be shown. Now that you've actually sourced materials and built something this may be a bit late, but if you decide you don't love your second attempt, I really liked your mock-up where the panels had color and a slanted edge. It was a nice change to the boxy look.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Whale

#20: Post by Whale »

While I fully agree that the CMA/Astoria lever head looks better exposed, there are some of us that do like the "boxy" look of these old Astoria (Fiore and others). Specially polished stainless, on a high counter, such has in a cafe bar, it has a lot of presence. Of course, it is all in the eye of the beholder...

Larry, great job! keep going and posting! Somehow at the rate this modification is going I think that the end result will not look anything other than fantastic.

This thread has inspired me to finally complete my own Astoria Fiore rebuild which was dropped to accomplished more important jobs (says my better half!). I have a very little garage/workspace that does not allow for multiple simultaneous jobs and there is no working outside in Montreal during the winter months.
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.