The Arrarex Caravel - Page 41

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
hbuchtel

#401: Post by hbuchtel »

I just had the most inspiring shot from my Caravel...

Cold day, cold house, hopper full of beans, dosed to fill the basket, tamped, pulled... smooth rise in pressure... two warm brush-strokes of crema pouring into the cup, slowing to drips... walking away with a warm cup in my hand, then a blast of bitter toasty chocolate...

A home-barista's dream! :D

Regards, Henry
LMWDP #53

ktl001

#402: Post by ktl001 »

I cleaned my Caravel the other day and took off the filter sitting with the PF gasket (Group head filter?...)
Unfortunately did not notice which way it was fitted...... :roll:
Which side goes where? The little hole-side up - or down...... :?:

michaelbenis

#403: Post by michaelbenis »

Mine are in smooth side down - which makes sense since it would stop grinds accumulating. But I'm not entirely sure that I've understood your question....
LMWDP No. 237

mikekarr

#404: Post by mikekarr »

My interpretation of the question would suggest that you need to put the screen back on with the clip facing down, so that you can access it to remove it again next time.
LMWDP #235

michaelbenis

#405: Post by michaelbenis »

I don't think you can put it back together any other way...
LMWDP No. 237

ktl001

#406: Post by ktl001 »

michaelbenis wrote:Mine are in smooth side down - which makes sense since it would stop grinds accumulating. But I'm not entirely sure that I've understood your question....
Sorry - english is not my best :D Forgot the name for it is the shower screen....
I meant the smooth side as you write - i just found some pictures from timo888 Flea market find - vintage Arrarex Caravel showing the smooth side down.

CoffeeOwl

#407: Post by CoffeeOwl »

So how is it going these days, team Caravel?
It's been a moment since my last visit on H-B and I see some changes (Marshall got GS/3, and there are more Caravels onboard :D ).
Shame is that I have not yet got a hand grinder and I have no coffee when travelling.
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

SiD-

#408: Post by SiD- »

I'm planning to buy a Caravel single basket from Orphan Espresso.
Is anybody out there, who have experience with this aftermarket single basket?
Any advice welcome!

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#409: Post by EspressoForge »

Handles on my Caravel broke finally (original bakelite ones). The main lever handle had always been a little messed up, and now the portafilter handle cracked at the end. I decided to remake them both by hand from olive wood. They are finished with olive oil and wax, and they feel amazing. I just want to touch them all the time. I'm planning to make a handle for my tamper as well to make them a complete set.

Portafilter handle has just a plug in the end for where the bolt had been fitted, I'm thinking now to try to redesign this with a proper end cap. I think it will look nicer, but for now these are functional.

Aside from that, great coffee being made, pretty much everyday. PID makes things a lot easier, especially with the morning routine (or should I say lazier?).

As for the single basket, well I have a stock single basket and an OE double basket. Just comparing the OE double to my stock double, although the shape is a bit different, practically they seem to fit about the same coffee and extract very similar. The single is nice if you want a lower dose, and better than dosing lower in the double basket. For some reason the Caravel likes the basket to be pretty full.

CoffeeOwl

#410: Post by CoffeeOwl »

Wow EspressoForge! Cool looks! :mrgreen:
How 'bout some nice wooden base?
CoffeeOwl wrote:So how is it going these days, team Caravel?
Hey I expected at least some hugs from filizanka_pokoju and Henry... :cry:
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199