The Arrarex Caravel - Page 34

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sweaner

#331: Post by sweaner »

Well, I am now...or at least soon....a member of the Caravel Club. I scored this nice looking gray one from eBay Italy. It turns out I was bidding against another HBer who I had asked a question about these machines. He cost me about $50. :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3DWatching

Can anyone tell me which filter basket that is? Single or double? Are these available anywhere? OE maybe?
Scott
LMWDP #248

michaelbenis

#332: Post by michaelbenis »

Looks in very nice condition and may even have been rewired.

That's a "double"basket. I have never seen a single. I believe Doug has one in his collection. There was plot here a while ago to try and get a group order of single baskets made up. I'm not sure what happened with that.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Mike
LMWDP No. 237

Advertisement
IMAWriter

#333: Post by IMAWriter »

sweaner wrote:Well, I am now...or at least soon....a member of the Caravel Club. I scored this nice looking gray one from eBay Italy. It turns out I was bidding against another HBer who I had asked a question about these machines. He cost me about $50. :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3DWatching

Can anyone tell me which filter basket that is? Single or double? Are these available anywhere? OE maybe?
Scottie...nice "get!"
Having briefly had "Clarabelle" in my possession, I can't imagine why a single basket would be required, as a 1oz double is already in the small range volume wise.
I like the short shots best, seemed sweetest. YMMV
Hopefully, shipping will be kind to you.
Happy Memorial day to you and all, on both sides of the pond.

michaelbenis

#334: Post by michaelbenis »

Totally agree with Rob there. I think that's where the Caravel excels.

You can also quite happily down-dose as long as you don't mind a little soup on top of the puck.
LMWDP No. 237

IMAWriter

#335: Post by IMAWriter replying to michaelbenis »

HAHA...,had some "soup"myself, though it didn't seem to affect the 'spro much.
I want my own "Clarabelle!" :cry:

sorrentinacoffee

#336: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

Actually- I think the normal basket- that is being called a double here- is actually the single!

I have one Caravel that came with two baskets- one of them is larger than any other Caravel baskets I have seen- it is the true double :wink: . Rare as hens teeth- and my favorite basket- allows me to grind very fine- it isn't as conical as the 'single' basket you are all used to... and has more holes on its wider base- so holds an extra 6 grams or so- I think... at a guess.

GVDub
Supporter ♡

#337: Post by GVDub »

sorrentinacoffee wrote: I have one Caravel that came with two baskets- one of them is larger than any other Caravel baskets I have seen- it is the true double :wink: . Rare as hens teeth- and my favorite basket- allows me to grind very fine- it isn't as conical as the 'single' basket you are all used to... and has more holes on its wider base- so holds an extra 6 grams or so- I think... at a guess.
Pictures. We need pictures. Side by side with the 'stock' Caravel basket if possible.
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238

Advertisement
michaelbenis

#338: Post by michaelbenis »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :D

Yes! Pictures, please...................... :P
LMWDP No. 237

IMAWriter

#339: Post by IMAWriter »

+3

sorrentinacoffee

#340: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

+3?

don't believe me?

Bizarrely- this morning I got another Caravel from family in Italy - and it had the small basket! So now I have a full set of three... The small one really is really tiny- cant imagine ever using it that much- just for the odd mild macchiato? As you will see the large one has the Caravel "portafilter locking dimples" that mark it out as an original Caravel item...

see them and weep: