The Arrarex Caravel - Page 182

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redbone

#1811: Post by redbone »

I was able to replace the piston seals without much drama but have difficulty with the PF gasket. Any tips here welcome. The PF leaks under pressure at top. No leaks otherwise when lever is at lowest level. Screen came off easy.

The one disadvantage of the Vam vs Caravel is the wiring especially the bulb wiring. The Vam bulb wiring is very brittle vs the high temp sites on the Caravel. Hard to find info on the bulb.
Any info on replacing would be great.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Eastsideloco

#1812: Post by Eastsideloco »

Dental picks are a good way to remove the old gaskets. You can grab the rubber and pull it out that way. Not sure what you can use in place of the dental picks. I'd just get a pick at a CVS. Installing the new gasket is a piece of cake.

grog

#1813: Post by grog »

On one of my VAMs, the PF gasket had become hard as a rock and simply wouldn't yield to small screwdrivers or pick tools. I couldn't get a purchase anywhere. Then I thought of screwing in a small wood screw - directly into the gasket - at a 45 degree angle. Worked like a charm. The gasket lifted up in the spot I had inserted the screw and I was able to pull the gasket out in one piece, using a pair of needle nose pliers on the screw.
LMWDP #514

redbone

#1814: Post by redbone »

Thanks the screw method worked out. I was able to get in the high 180's on the 220V Vam 600W after only changing out the cord. Able to get in the high 170's on the 550W 220V Caravel with just the plug change.
Here is my rework of the indicator bulb wiring on the Vam. The Vam OEM bulb housing is to long making it difficult for the wiring.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

redbone

#1815: Post by redbone »

Here is the bulb disassembled. I cut the body down with a pipe cutter leaving the thread and pulled the burnt out bulb out. Will use the OEM housing and place a new bulb inside.

Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

redbone

#1816: Post by redbone »

Here is my temp fix. Used a 120V indicator light. I'll get a round one when I get get to the electronic store near my work place. Lights even come in green

Top View
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

redbone

#1817: Post by redbone »

Caravel shot testing (New seals)

Caravel re-wired from original 220V with North American 120V. Inside wiring was in very good condition. The indicator light wiring did not need replacing as in the VAM. Earlier testing using room temp water in kettle failed to hit desired temp even after 15min which is understandable considering 220V element.
Second attempt heated water in kettle just off boil and turned on Caravel prior with 1" of water and placed in Caravel kettle. With lid on heard the bubbling of water in 5min, measured in the low 200F. Found the Caravel thermostat knob more responsive than the VAM.
Was able to pull a VG shot.

Aeropress funnel and plumbing piece used as PF holder.

Final observation:
Positive - easy cleanup with the ability to disassemble and rinse parts
Negative - Wet soppy basket after.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

pafcio0

#1818: Post by pafcio0 »

redbone wrote: Negative - Wet soppy basket after.
What is negative about it? ;)

grog

#1819: Post by grog »

Which baskets came with the VAM? There are some interesting early basket variations including a double with straight walls like an Export or Peppina basket.
LMWDP #514

gail

#1820: Post by gail »

Negative - Wet soppy basket after.
To dry out the puck, raise and lower the lever half-way several times until bubbles come out of the portafilter. This operation is described in the original Caravel manual, which you can find on the Orphan Espresso website here

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Caravel-I ... 588-1.html

I put a little bowl under the portafilter for this to make the clean-up easier.

I got much better coffees after I started using a bottomless portafilter.