The Arrarex Caravel - Page 18

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
CriticalTodd

#171: Post by CriticalTodd »

hperry wrote:I think it would make a great first-time machine... I got a really nice reconditioned one from Orphan Espresso http://www.orphanespresso.com
Thanks. That's exactly where I was looking. :mrgreen:

peacecup (original poster)

#172: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

THere is no milk steamer - if you want to make milk drinks you need either a MR Coffee steam espresso maker, or a milk frother to froth milk heated on the stove or micro. I did this for a few weeks, and it worked well.

I guess the Caravel is as easy to learn as any other machine. Its difficult to tell because we've all had a few years on various other machines before starting with it. Anyway you can get plenty of help here, as hperry says (nice to hear from him!)

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Advertisement
SantoSerafino

#173: Post by SantoSerafino »

Yup, go for it. My first home shots ever were on this machine, using oldish beans from Peets (I hadn't pulled shots since my days at Caffe Nuvo north of San Francisco 17 years ago). Those first shots were competitive with the local 'artisan' coffee shop, FWIW, and clearly I have a lot of avenues for improvement available. ;) Lovely machines.
See "Temperature Profiled Immersion Brewing By Smell" in 'Brewing'

CriticalTodd

#174: Post by CriticalTodd »

peacecup wrote:THere is no milk steamer - if you want to make milk drinks you need either a MR Coffee steam espresso maker, or a milk frother to froth milk heated on the stove or micro. I did this for a few weeks, and it worked well.
Yeah, I'll have to come up with a milk solution - I love a good cappuccino but I figure I can find a solution. I hadn't thought of using a Mr. Coffee for it. An interesting idea, that.

hperry

#175: Post by hperry »

peacecup wrote:THere is no milk steamer

I guess the Caravel is as easy to learn as any other machine.
PC
The steamer is a good point. You also might look at one of the stovetop steamers.

My point of reference for "easy to learn" was the Cremina, which I came to fairly late in my experience. For me it was much easier to get a good shot with the Caravel, in part because the temperature control is so much better. It has also been a lot easier for me than the La Peppina. The skills for getting a good shot from the Caravel pretty much reflect those for other machines. My best experiences are without updosing and with a fairly light tamp. You quickly get the feel for the right amount of pressure to apply to the lever (enough so that there is significant resistance, not so much that your face gets red). :D
Hal Perry

CriticalTodd

#176: Post by CriticalTodd »

Well, I pulled the trigger so fairly soon I'll be in the club. I guess I'll need a tamper for it- any options cheaper than the $110 one at orphanespresso?

hperry

#177: Post by hperry »

Les at thortamper sometimes has one in stock. He offered to make one if it wasn't in stock when I inquired. Orphan also has more generic ones for less. Richard's are quite nice pieces of work.
Hal Perry

Advertisement
CriticalTodd

#178: Post by CriticalTodd »

I didn't see anything generic at the right size: 43.5mm, right, or am I missing something?

SantoSerafino

#179: Post by SantoSerafino »

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm using the (carefully scoured) cap from a roll-on deodorant for tamping for the moment. I've designed a nice tamper to go with the machine but I can't decide whether to spring for having it done in stainless vs. aluminum.
See "Temperature Profiled Immersion Brewing By Smell" in 'Brewing'

hperry

#180: Post by hperry »

I wouldn't be embarassed. I almost said this previously. I used the (very nice) back of the coffee scoop for the Caravel before I got my tamp. Have to say it worked pretty well.
Hal Perry