The Arrarex Caravel - Page 163

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pkScary

#1621: Post by pkScary »

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Caravel off eBay, and am going through the unit to clean it up and modify it to accept 110V power. However, I am having a really difficult time finding 110V heating elements. It seems all the providers talked about in this thread are out of stock. Perhaps there is a source I missed? I've checked:

Brooks Espresso
Cafelat
Orphan Espresso
eBay

Nobody has Caravel version 1.2 110V heating elements...

grog

#1622: Post by grog »

Brooks website shows them in stock - did Thijs confirm no stock? They are usually pretty good about keeping the website up to date.
LMWDP #514

pkScary

#1623: Post by pkScary replying to grog »

I haven't been able to get through to him. I've tried his website and his eBay account. I only started Feb 20th though so he could easily be on vacation or behind on orders.

sweaner

#1624: Post by sweaner »

Remember, you can easily use it with the 220 element by starting with boiling water. The element will easily keep it up to temp.
Scott
LMWDP #248

CrabRangoon

#1625: Post by CrabRangoon »

Are most North American owners of Caravels using a step-up converter for their machine, or simply changing the power cord/plug? Eagerly awaiting mine's arrival in the next few days, but am not yet prepared to supply it with any power :oops:
LMWDP #505

sweaner

#1626: Post by sweaner »

I recently installed a 110 element, but before that I simply used a plug converter and started with boiling water. The 220 element easily keeps the boiling water at temp when plugged into 110. It will heat from cold, but it takes quite a while.
Scott
LMWDP #248

CrabRangoon

#1627: Post by CrabRangoon »

Sure, I knew about using pre boiled water, I'm just aiming for safe electrical use - our 50s home is presumably equipped with old times wiring and such, and tripping breakers isn't terribly difficult here esp with so few outlets. With the existing 220v element I thought I'd need the step-up box rather than simply a plug converter like we'd use if we were traveling with our NA devices. Is that correct?
LMWDP #505

crazy4espresso

#1628: Post by crazy4espresso »

Step up transformers are reliable and fairly inexpensive. You can do with a 1000 watt for the Caravel which would save some space over the behemoth I'm using for my other machines.. Still, when not in use, I just put it in the cabinet below and it's out of sight. I was lucky to pick up a 110v element when they were available. :)
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

Nate42

#1629: Post by Nate42 »

CrabRangoon wrote:Sure, I knew about using ore oiled water, I'm just aiming for safe electrical use - our 50s home is presumably equipped with old times wiring and such, and tripping breakers isn't terribly difficult here esp with so few outlets. With the existing 220v element I thought I'd need the step-up box rather than simply a plug converter like we'd use if we were traveling with our NA devices. Is that correct?
Not at all. Running a 220V element on a 110V system will draw less current than an equivalent 110V element would, not more. Blowing breakers won't be an issue.

In fact using a step up transformer would be MORE strain on your electrical system, not less. Although it would probably be fine as well.

grog

#1630: Post by grog »

It's worth dropping 50 bucks on a step up transformer. The kettle will get water to temp in about 5 min with a step up transformer. And although this sounds ridiculous, when I was running a 220v Caravel just plugged into a 110v outlet using a convertor plug, and then switched to a step up transformer so it was running on 220v, the front light was immediately noticably brighter. I guess that's the difference between running on the intended current and not.
LMWDP #514