The Arrarex Caravel - Page 17

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
orphanespresso
Sponsor

#161: Post by orphanespresso »

Nice patent drawings, and a sudden burst of information as well...Dr Salati, what a guy.

If you are still looking for that manual check here http://www.orphanespresso.com/index.php ... chapter=40

Our friend Lucio, who sent us the manual has also been kind enough to translate, a lot better than google translator, but internet translations can be very entertaining in and of themselves.

And Jack, we were wondering just who has been scoring all of those cool machines on ebay italy. Congratulations and wishing all a safe arrival!

alex f

#162: Post by alex f »

Thanks for the link to the manual. I'll have to try the technique to dry the puck.

SantoSerafino

#163: Post by SantoSerafino »

Yes, thanks Doug for the manual, can't believe I didn't check your site for that.

Meanwhile: What is it with me and chrome?? :? I had my lovely early Caravel about ready to go last night, the old seals seem to be in great shape so I was reassembling after cleaning with Joe Glo, but the chrome on the piston snap ring started falling to pieces.

Couldn't find any stainless steel snap rings locally, so have ordered a few from McMaster-Carr. :)
See "Temperature Profiled Immersion Brewing By Smell" in 'Brewing'

sorrentinacoffee

#164: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

the little half pumps at the end really do dry the puck out.

brilliant.

alex f

#165: Post by alex f »

I tried it on the yellow / sphinx model and though it didn't dry the puck thoroughly, it was less soggy. I didn't try it on the grey model because I assumed the half pumps would fill up.
Have you tried the sphinx yet sorrentina ?

SantoSerafino

#166: Post by SantoSerafino »

I think the piston valve system was specifically intended for this move. The water only comes in when you go all the way to the top, right?

I've dried out pucks in my grey model with aluminum 2 u-cup piston and valved hole in the piston face.
See "Temperature Profiled Immersion Brewing By Smell" in 'Brewing'

hbuchtel

#167: Post by hbuchtel »

Those are pretty funny pictures (in white) on the cover of the manual!

Lets see... I'm definitely not going to let my daughter make coffee on it, no matter how cute.

Three gentlemen in suits enjoying the Caravel? Sounds reasonable...

But if I ever have a chance to drink espresso made by a nun pushing the Caravel on a cart that will make my day! :D
LMWDP #53

sorrentinacoffee

#168: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

I also liked the small child and nuns working the Caravel. Superb graphics.

My new Spynx VAM Caravel arrived- it is a beutiful machine and quite different to all the other Caravels I have seen- different piston, different filter basket- different element... just replaced the seals and pulled a few test shots today.... looking good- needs work- it seems to have a different action to the later Caravels. The piston has no valve (as predicted by Alex F).

I will add some images and impressions of the machine as soon as I get some time. It really is nice- it is just a bity more styled and robustly made than the grey machines I have seen.

CriticalTodd

#169: Post by CriticalTodd »

Would the Caravel make a good first-time espresso machine? I love the look and, from the videos and other things I've seen, it seems easy enough for a newbie looking to learn. What do you veterans think?

Thanks in advance.

hperry

#170: Post by hperry »

CriticalTodd wrote:Would the Caravel make a good first-time espresso machine?
Thanks in advance.
I think it would make a great first-time machine - as long as you could get one in good condition. It's forgiving and pulls very good shots. In addition there's lots of literature on this site re: using it. Understand that it is no longer in production and is therfore only available used. I got a really nice reconditioned one from Orphan Espresso http://www.orphanespresso.com
Hal Perry