Arrarex Caravel blown heating element ??? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Javier (original poster)

#11: Post by Javier (original poster) »

Hi Cheri,

No, I have not found yet a source for the heating element. I sent you a PM.

Javier
LMWDP #115

DJR

#12: Post by DJR »

McMaster.com, sells bendable heating elements. I suspect you could find one the right wattage and it wouldn't be hard to bend, by hand. I have one I'll bend for my Mini Gaggia later this week, but I can tell you it bends easily... I'd suggest you take a piece of foam weatherstrip or some plastic tubing or even string and use it to figure out your bends, which won't match the oem element, but so what? You can bend it however it will work.

dan

Javier (original poster)

#13: Post by Javier (original poster) »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your message.
McMaster.com, sells bendable heating elements. I suspect you could find one the right wattage and it wouldn't be hard to bend, by hand. I have one I'll bend for my Mini Gaggia later this week, but I can tell you it bends easily... I'd suggest you take a piece of foam weatherstrip or some plastic tubing or even string and use it to figure out your bends, which won't match the oem element, but so what? You can bend it however it will work.
You are on to something here. It will be great if you can provide pictures (or video) of the shaping of said bendable heating elements, for the benefit of all of us.

Thanks!

Javier
LMWDP #115

Javier (original poster)

#14: Post by Javier (original poster) »

Good news! I got a replacement heating element for my Arrarex Caravel.

Lucio Del Piccolo suggested contacting "Gabor in Budapest" in order to have a new heating element manufactured. I contacted Gabor, and he answered EACH of my questions regarding the manufacturing of said heating element (apparently he has two Arrarex Caravel). The cost of the replacement heating element (including shipping to Virginia, USA) was 50 EUROS, and it took about a month to have it manufactured. I received said heating element about a week ago, and it is almost a "carbon copy" of the original. I have been using it ever since with NO problems. My Arrarex Caravel is finally back to its glory and its rewarding me with great shots :-)

Gabor's e-mail is resistenza.60@gmail.com.

Hope this helps someone!

Javier
LMWDP #115

samgiles

#15: Post by samgiles »

Wow that's fantastic news. I just sent him an email. I have a ruptured element on my favourite Caravel so it'd be wonderful to have that up and running again. I'll bet there are a few of us in the same boat. Was the replacement one he made 220v?
LMWDP #169

Javier (original poster)

#16: Post by Javier (original poster) »

Was the replacement one he made 220v?
Yes!

I will post a picture of said replacement heating element sometime this weekend.
LMWDP #115

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by dumpshot »

Javier,

Thank you very much for finding a source! I have been banging my head against the wall for months trying to find someone to build a Caravel element. I finally got a quote from Watlow and it was for $160 for a bendable element that wasn't guaranteed to work and non-returnable. I passed.

I emailed Gabor as well and am hopeful he can help.

Good work!
Pete

P.S. Out of curiosity, why didn't you have him build you a 110v element? That would be the ticket for me!
LMWDP #484

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by dumpshot »

To Caravel Users,

Below is a picture of my element. I have the VAM version and I know the element is a different shape than later versions. However, are they interchangeable? Are the access holes through the bottom plate and the stud terminals the same, with the same type of connectors? Does yours have the ceramic block that screws to the bottom plate like this one?

Thanks,
Pete

LMWDP #484

Javier (original poster)

#19: Post by Javier (original poster) »

Here is the replacement heating element:
LMWDP #115

peacecup

#20: Post by peacecup »

Great news on the heating elements. I'll also contact him.

I am still looking for a VAM portafilter. Has anyone plans to have these made?

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."