Anyone using Faema Velox 220v Euro in US?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Wooden_Hand

#1: Post by Wooden_Hand »

Hello, all! I just received a beautifully restored '62 Faema Velox, from my friend Pascal (Zeb to HBers) in France. Unfortunately, the element is 220v European, and so I was wondering if anyone here could provide me with some insight into the best (read: safe, cost-effective, efficient) way forward, in making this machine work in a residential, U.S., setting. A few things, I own my house, so adding a 220v line is possible---I only have 100 amp service to my house, but I'm well under that, currently. Also, if its possible to run this machine on a 110v circuit, and the only downside is a longer warm-up period, I'm totally fine with that (my Astra takes about 40-45 min., and its never been an issue). So, Im just looking for a general direction (add a dedicated 220v line? step-up transformer? run off 110v, somehow? something else?), I'm not going to take advice I get on here, and run down into the basement, and start trying to do things, myself, without consulting a professional electrician. Thanks, in advance!

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

That's a good friend you have.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Wooden_Hand (original poster)

#3: Post by Wooden_Hand (original poster) »

Very true, Tom.

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

I have owned five espresso machines that use european circuits. The best option short of ripping out the element and putting in a 110V one is to get a voltage transformer with the correct wattage rating. I dont know what that particular machine's wattage is, but my Lusso is running on a transformer at 1200 watts. Of course, its the size of a toaster and damn near 20 lb of copper and steel, but it lets me plug in anywhere and isnt that hard to hide behind a grinder. Its also not expensive at all, I think the 1500 watt transformer cost around $40. I buy mine here, http://www.world-import.com/transformers-type-A-UD.htm. Cheap, ships quick, and has a five year warranty. This will also let you plug into the wall since the transformer has adaptors to use US outlets. Of course, if this is too much work, you can send it to me, I could find a way to use it :D
LMWDP #366

#5: Post by Wooden_Hand (original poster) »

Thanks, PM! That is very helpful info. I'm pretty sure the machine is 1500 w, and so I guess if I decide to go the transformer route, I should get one that's rated a bit higher than that.

crazy4espresso

#6: Post by crazy4espresso »

If you're going the step up transformer route, get one rated for double what you're element is rated for. Hence, 1000 watt element, get a 2000 watt or higher transformer.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

pacificmanitou

#7: Post by pacificmanitou »

crazy4espresso wrote:If you're going the step up transformer route, get one rated for double what you're element is rated for. Hence, 1000 watt element, get a 2000 watt or higher transformer.
That is a good suggestion. I've had on average 100-300 watts of buffer space, and the transformer gets comfortably warm. When I've plugged something in at-rating, it gets downright hot, not dangerous fire hazard hot, but when you touch it you think "hot" rather than "warm"
LMWDP #366

#8: Post by Wooden_Hand (original poster) »

Wow, I never would've guessed it was prudent to get a transformer that was rated for double. Thanks so much.

pacificmanitou

#9: Post by pacificmanitou »

Theres a common theme on HB that overbuilt is always better. Just look at some of the grinders we've got :lol:
But yeah its better to overdo it. Ive not had problems using things at or slightly below their rating limits, and I run things as "always on" when I can, but I have also overloaded a transformer, which is a dangerous thing. Keep your total wattages in mind when stringing things together.
LMWDP #366

#10: Post by Wooden_Hand (original poster) »

Yep, once I figure out how to overbuild this Velox, I'm gonna overbuild my Pharos with some Voodoo Daddy mods. After that's all squared away, I'll probably turn my attention to overbuilding my old Bianchi Pista :wink: