Alternative to Taylor 9844 for measuring grouphead temperature?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
roadman
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by roadman »

At this point in my espresso journey, I'm pretty convinced that using a grouphead thermometer for the Cremina is the way to go. Hard to believe that at one time I didn't think I needed one at all. Now without a thermometer, trying to keep the group at the right temp has become a matter of timing, luck, and fervent, heartfelt prayers to the espresso gods.

It's like this - I've gone through three Taylor 9844 thermometers in the space of a year. The first one was defective right out of the box. The next one died in less that a year. It's replacement just died today after a couple days.

With the digital readout of the thermometer mounted on top of the machine, it's possible that the internals couldn't take the heat. Or maybe the Taylor 9844 is just your basic piece of cheaply constructed junk. Or a combination of the two.

The question is, does anyone know where can I find a reliable, externally mounted grouphead thermometer that will last several years or more? I'm all ears.

Jon

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

I haven't measured a grouphead in a while, but I was doing it when the trend started here for a year or more. I now have a http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html Which is a tiny thermocouple meter that can have different thermocouples attached. O, and it's magnetic also. I keep the smallest needle sized one attached. it gives me a reading within 2 seconds for measuring water temp in a kettle. The fastest thermocouple on the market, even faster than thermowork's own thermapen.

You can purchase any k-type thermocouple to tape onto the group of the machine and attach it to this little device. Thermapen has a big section on thermocouples. Another option for a k-type probe is the auberins bare probe. This will be the fastest hands down and it's only $6 and will fit with the thermoworks meter. I used this to measure my ES2 temperature with the thermoworks and it's great and super fast. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=144

My only complaint is that above 200 degrees Fahrenheit the display only goes by full degrees because of a lack of space.

I've spent a lot of time looking this stuff up a year ago, and this is the best route :) You're welcome
LMWDP #353

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Hi Jon,

Especially since you're all ears you probably don't want to hear this ... :roll:

I've had good luck with a different Taylor thermometer I use on my Cremina and La Pavoni and have installed that thermometry on one each of those machines for friends with no failures. It's the latest one pictured in the thermometer thread, where I show the installation isolating all but the probe from heat. The thermometer even disassembles so you can change the battery. It's their Elite model 608.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

roadman (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by roadman (original poster) »

Gary you must have read my mind (or maybe I read yours :P!).
I put a piece of insulation between the new thermometer head and the metal it's attached to this morning and wouldn't you know it, it miraculously healed itself.
Wonders never cease.
Jon

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Glad to offer healing at a distance any time. How's the thermometry working for you?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

roadman (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by roadman (original poster) »

Nice to be working with a certified appliance healer!
drgary wrote:How's the thermometry working for you?
Just dandy. Knowing the temperature marked a real turning point in my quest for consistently good espresso.

A short description of my time before thermometry belongs in Hall of Shame: ''What I did when I was a newbie...''. :?