Advice for La Pavoni newbies

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Sandy

#1: Post by Sandy »

Dear Newbies, a lot of Pavoni fans are way too precious about the process of making a cuppa. Here's a few tips to make it easier:
1) Screw off the double pouring spout from the bottom of the porta filter (coffee basket) holder. You don't need this unless you plan on filling two tiny espresso cups in one go. Makes cleaning the holder easier, and you can now put it down flat on the bench when its got the coffee basket in it without it tipping over.
2) To settle the grounds in the filter basket prior to tamping, fill the basket with the measured amount of ground coffee, and take the basket out of the porta filter holder if it isn't already out (this depends on the type of grinder you have, some grinders with dosers require the filter basket in the holder when filling). With the basket out of the holder and full of coffee grounds, pick it up, and gently rap it on the bench a few times. This will nicely settle and level the grounds (you really don't have to stir them with a needle!). Then use the tamper. Then put the filter basket back in the holder and put the holder on the group head.
3) Make sure to leave a decent space between the top of the basket and the top of the grounds: 6mm or ¼" at least. This is called "head room" and will space for the grounds to swell as they absorb water. If you don't leave enough space, the grounds will swell up and clog the filter (shower) screen up inside the group head and choke the pull.
4) Play around with the two variables of fineness of grind vs. tamping pressure to get the right resistance to your pulling down on the lever and the taste of the resulting pour.
5) Don't cheap out on the grinder; get a good one, and use fresh coffee!
6) Clean the screen in the head and the area below the screen where the holder goes fairly often to prevent old stale grounds spoiling your nice pour. Its really easy to lever out the screen with a short flat-blade screw driver.

TheJavaCup77

#2: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

You didn't mention....

1. The water delivery system uses steam pressure to force water into the grouphead when the piston moves upwards...

In order for this to work. the water in your boiler must produce steam. that means your water is too hot for brewing. the grouphead is like a heatsink it reduces and leeches heat from the water....

These systems dont regulate temperature well enough....

It can't pull back to back shots....
Since the thermal memory of the group will absorb and retain the heat if you pull back to back shots...

;)

Regards,

Ray
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

rpavlis

#3: Post by rpavlis »

Also keep in mind that there are THREE VERY different type of groups on La Pavoni levers. The first type was manufactured between 1961 and 1973. The second type from 1974 to 2000. The third from 2000 to the present time.

Beginners and long time La Pavoni users must always be aware of the profound difference between them and use very different procedures for different types. The 1974 to 2000 is especially different!

The first and third have the piston run inside a sleeve that is surrounded by hot water, and fresh hot water comes into the space around the sleeve with each upward movement of the lever. You can control the temperature of the group by pumping the handle up and down without releasing water. (Like many devices made recently the ones made after 2000 have a plastic cylinder liner. The company seems to claim that this is for insulation, but really one WANTS heat transfer here. The reality is that they make it this way to sell replacement plastic sleeves and because they are inexpensive to make. Even though it is an expensive polymer, polyphenylene sulphide.) The design reduces or even eliminates overheating.

The 1974-2000 groups are designed so that the top of the group is heated by live steam from the boiler. There is a small hole between the top of the group that allows steam in. The top of the group thus, once air is eliminated, at the identical temperature as the boiler's steam at all times. This results in continuous heat transfer down to the bottom of the group. It is a good idea for one or two cups. After that the temperature tends to rise too much and you end up with bitter espresso. (One can solve the problem in various ways, mine is to pull water from a ramekin into the group before each shot after the second. Be sure it is room temperature water, and count to 5 or so after drawing in the water.)

My conclusion is that the ORIGINAL 1961-1973 group is best.

Double Shot

#4: Post by Double Shot »

I have a new La Pavoni, purchased at the start of this year, with a brass piston and plastic sleeve. I find it to be relatively temperature stable as long as you cool the portafilter between shots. The most beneficial modification I made to it was adding thermometry. See this link: Adding Thermometry to a La Pavoni Europiccola
I used a product called Sugru, which a HB member mentioned on here, to attach the end of a digital temperature probe to the back of the group. I scored about an inch of the probe - measured from the sharp end - using a pair of sharp side cutters then snapped it off. I affixed this horizontally to the back of the group using Sugru. I insert the end of the digital sensor into this pocket and sit the display on an upturned shot glass - I haven't gotten around to fixing the display permanently.
Doing this has taken the guessing game out of my espresso making and has enabled me to consistently pull shots that please my palate.
LMWDP #480.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

TheJavaCup77 wrote:You didn't mention....

1. The water delivery system uses steam pressure to force water into the grouphead when the piston moves upwards...

In order for this to work. the water in your boiler must produce steam. that means your water is too hot for brewing. the grouphead is like a heatsink it reduces and leeches heat from the water....

These systems dont regulate temperature well enough....

It can't pull back to back shots
Since the thermal memory of the group will absorb and retain the heat if you pull back to back shots...

;)

Regards,

Ray
The boldfaced text isn't true. As rpavlis says, there are techniques you can use to regulate temperature. As I've often said, one of the best capabilities of these machines is their ability to temperature surf. You start with the group below shot-pulling temperature and heat it to a desired starting point. That's different for different levels of roast. Even for second generation machines you can pull back-to-back shots as long as there's enough water in the boiler. Here's a thread on temperature control for that generation.

Reaching the Zen Zone with a Two Switch La Pavoni

Also there is no need to take the filter basket out of the portafilter to settle out grounds by tapping. You can do that with the basket inserted. If the basket isn't held in by a clip, hold it down with a finger on the rim.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

insatiableOne

#6: Post by insatiableOne »

Can pull shots with my Stradivari until it runs out of water. As they do not overheat.
Only thing I found is that you need to pump some water around the group as mentioned above or the temperature might only be @ 150° when the light goes on.

Also, I found it easier to just hack off the bottom of the portafilter, instead of taking the time to unscrew mine. Bottomless is way cooler. (also easier to watch the extraction issues )

This kind of scared me!
Its really easy to lever out the screen with a short flat-blade screw driver.
Yep, had to cringe!

Just MY opinion :!: these machines are not for the faint of heart.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

insatiableOne wrote:Can pull shots with my Stradivari until it runs out of water. As they do not overheat.
A caution on this. After the earliest models they equipped these machines with sightglasses so you don't run them dry and destroy your heating element. Don't pull shots until you run out of water unless you want a very expensive repair.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

insatiableOne

#8: Post by insatiableOne replying to drgary »

I suppose I should be clearer then.
Can I? Yes... Do I? No, I refill when the sight glass reads about 1/4