Adding Thermometry to a La Pavoni Europiccola - Page 17

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
pizzigri

#161: Post by pizzigri »

Hello everyone. I need to choose a good digital thermometer to add thermometry to a La Pavoni Europiccola.... ehm. Right.

However, my needs are a little different than most of what I read here, as while I do want to measure group temperature, I intend to place the thermometer readout in the base.

It would be overly nice if the display could be round (max diameter should not exceed 37mm, because of the base's size).

Other constraints would be the length of the probe and survivability of the instrument in the base (it gets quite hot).
Possibly a miniature measuring instrument with separate, plug-in probe would do better than hacking out a Taylor cooking thermometer; point is, since I intend to actually place a hole in the base (=irreversible mod), the instrument supposedly should be... permanent as well.

Ideas, ideas?

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#162: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Hi Franco,

I think I would start with deciding what probe will work and then a separate electronic thermometer would work. The hard part is probably the thermometer since it needs to tolerate heat and accept the probe. When you are making it this permanent and putting it in the base, you are getting close to the PID modification done by Ray Johns. But that was a lot of work and customizing and maybe more expensive than you want.

La Pavoni + PID = better temperature control?

Added: There's an ergonomic issue with putting the digital readout in the base. When you are doing half pumps to bring the group up to temperature you are standing above the machine. A readout in the base would be awkward unless you're really aiming at controlling temperature in the boiler -- unless the readout is at the top of the base and facing upward. Then you need to waterproof it, and that part of the base gets pretty hot. I don't think a boiler PID is any more effective than a PSTAT when you're cruising the machine below most brew temperatures and using the half-pump method to temperature surf.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

pizzigri

#163: Post by pizzigri »

Hi Gary,
Well actually I don't really think that there may be such an ergonomic problem, see I want to fit the thermometer display in place where the Pavoni logo should be. The old aluminum base has a much angled bevel, vs. the current stamped steel base (which is almost vertical), which in turn makes it much easier to read, and when you check the portafilter to see pouring the shot, you have to be in an awkward position anyway.
But point taken, especially in regards to costs, so I can think of something else anyway.
Actually, I may have a very interesting solution... Although, I need more distance between the sensor and the thermometer display.
If I buy the Taylor you used, is there a way to lengthen the sensor's leads?

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#164: Post by drgary (original poster) »

The leads to the probe on the Taylor thermometer would need microsurgery to extend them. I don't think that's a workable solution. There are thermometers with longer wires to the probe. I saw a bunch of them online but don't know which I would choose.
Gary
LMWDP#308

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#165: Post by pizzaman383 »

pizzigri wrote:Hello everyone. I need to choose a good digital thermometer to add thermometry to a La Pavoni Europiccola.... ehm. Right.

However, my needs are a little different than most of what I read here, as while I do want to measure group temperature, I intend to place the thermometer readout in the base.

Ideas, ideas?
You can buy a thermocouple and shorten the lead wires. Or, you can run the wires along the cord to an external display. I've added two thermocouples (one for the group head and one for the boiler) for my PID.

Here's a link:Just picked up a La Graziella
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

dominico
Team HB

#166: Post by dominico »

drgary wrote:The leads to the probe on the Taylor thermometer would need microsurgery to extend them. I don't think that's a workable solution.
Actually, I think that is quite a workable solution. Just cut the wires about halfway between the thermometer and the thermistor, and extend them with some wire around the same gauge, using solder, wire connectors, or your preferred means of connecting wire. Extending the wire shouldn't really make any noticeable difference to the thermometer reading, any resistance added is negligible compared to the resistance across the thermistor.

I bocca al lupo!
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#167: Post by drgary (original poster) »

You're probably right. I hesitate because the wires are very thin and might be a bit hard to work with.
Gary
LMWDP#308

erics
Supporter ★

#168: Post by erics »

If I buy the Taylor you used, is there a way to lengthen the sensor's leads?
Taylor makes well over a dozen different types of digital thermometers. Some come apart easily (Taylor 9844), and some are just a tiny bit more difficult (Taylor 9840N). I have taken apart about two thousand of the Taylor 9840N's and, even there, a lot depends on the quantity of hot melt adhesive used in the original assembly.

Gary - you should identify the exact Taylor model you have. The ones that come apart easily just require sticking the probe end in a vice and twisting/pulling the head end.

Unfortunately, it all depends on the particular model.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#169: Post by drgary (original poster) »

erics wrote:Gary - you should identify the exact Taylor model you have. The ones that come apart easily just require sticking the probe end in a vice and twisting/pulling the head end.
The model I'm currently using is the Taylor Elite 608. That's what's pictured here. It detaches fairly easily.

Gary
LMWDP#308

wkmok1

#170: Post by wkmok1 »

I have a Taylor where the probe and the display unit are connected by a wire that is about 2 feet long. May be simpler than soldering...
Winston