Adding Thermometry to a La Pavoni Europiccola - Page 15

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#141: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Nice, clean installation. I'll be interested in seeing how the Sugru holds up on the hot boiler. Does it stick to the boiler? Does it deform over time?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

homeburrero
Team HB

#142: Post by homeburrero »

Mark - that's a very nice looking machine.

And, a little off-topic, but I'm very curious about the pilot light on the front of the machine. Does it just light whenever the switch is on, or have you done something special under the hood? (I always thought it would be interesting to have a dual-switch paired with a single 1000W element and pStat, so that when on the II setting it would bypass the pStat and pressure up to whatever the safety valve allowed. I would set the pStat fairly low, and only go to II when steaming.)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

[creative nickname]

#143: Post by [creative nickname] »

Pat: I can't take credit for the pilot light. Kurt August added it back when he did an extensive restoration of this machine, as well as the powdercoat and wood accents. It is not nearly as fancy as you were hoping; it just indicates when the switch is turned on.

Gary: Yes, we will have to see how the Sugru holds up. They do advertise it as heat resistant up to 356F, and it has held up so far, but long term it is anyone's guess.
LMWDP #435

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#144: Post by drgary (original poster) »

[creative nickname] wrote:. Gary: Yes, we will have to see how the Sugru holds up. They do advertise it as heat resistant up to 356F, and it has held up so far, but long term it is anyone's guess.
Does it adhere to the hot boiler?
Gary
LMWDP#308

[creative nickname]

#145: Post by [creative nickname] replying to drgary »

I used high-temp velcro for the boiler attachment to make the whole thing easier to remove and then reattach, so I'm not sure.
LMWDP #435

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#146: Post by drgary (original poster) »

That's probably the way to go. Thanks for letting me know. There's some Sugru in my future.
Gary
LMWDP#308

withoutink

#147: Post by withoutink »

I just worked on adding this mod to my '78 Europiccola... I did a few things differently than others thus far, figured I would share them. The mod is not complete, as apparently the "high heat" velcro I bought wasn't so high heat. The velcro slid off when I was pulling my second shot. So I connected it via two separate zip ties. I also installed the thermometer on a foot/grommet that came off of an old external hard drive enclosure... this worked well as I could feed the probe wires through the screw hole. I also notched the grommet/foot so the wires would be flush, thus enabling a nice flat surface area for the velcro.

I seated the thermometer so it would sit at a nice angle for viewing. I superglued the grommet to the thermo. You can also see the notch in the grommet.

I used aluminum tape (for now) to hold the probe under the back side of the group head bell.

Installed using the not-so-high-heat-velcro

After the thermo fell, I wrapped a small zip tie around the joint of the grommet and the thermo. Then used another zip tie to connect to the top of the sight glass. This is temp for now as I am installing a manometer later this week. So I will need to rethink and figure a cleaner install...

What high heat velcro are you guys using?

Is the best way to connect probe to bell is portafilter gasket?

[creative nickname]

#148: Post by [creative nickname] »

I used this velcro, which has held up so far under moderate use: http://www.amazon.com/Coil-Wrap-71-Temp ... B002NI0NQI

As for attaching the probe to the group, I do think a gasket is your best bet. If you scroll through this thread, you'll see that the tape tends to fail and peel off after a while.
LMWDP #435

withoutink

#149: Post by withoutink replying to [creative nickname] »

Thanks, I just placed an order for that velcro. =)

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#150: Post by drgary (original poster) »

I've moved away from Velcro and am going in the direction of using a lab clamp on the neck of the group to hold the thermometer behind the group. I'm about to do this on my La Pavoni but it's boxed up for moving. Here's that installation on my Cremina. I like the Taylor thermometer because of its appearance and the leads can be freed from the sheath. The only drawback with this setup is finding a clamp that doesn't rock on the group neck and that holds the thermometer without swiveling. To set this up I adapted a piece of Teflon and a lever pin roller bearing to hold the thermometer in place. It's a work in progress but I use it every day and like the way it looks. This clamp may work very well on an early version La Pavoni, where the group screws into the boiler and the group neck is round.

Gary
LMWDP#308