87 Olympia Cremina rebuild

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
spaz2

#1: Post by spaz2 »

I picked up a 87 Cremina a couple of weeks ago and decided to make it my first rebuild. The machine had been sitting unused for several years and looking at the solid 7mm of coffee tar covering the dispersion screen also appeared to have never been cleaned. Fortunately the outer cover was in excellent shape and the frame was just rusted on the inside corners.

I stripped it down completely and sent the frame to Melrose metal finishers in Oalkand for blasting and powder coating in black. Chris and his crew did a beautiful job, turning it around in 4 days for a very reasonable price. OE supplied the new seals etc. very quickly. I finished yesterday and pulled shots this morning. A joy to use.

tom

Paolo

#2: Post by Paolo »

Hi Tom,
Looks beautiful! Well done!

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Beautiful job! It looks brand new.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Rikinwa

#4: Post by Rikinwa »

Beautiful!!

Nice pics too.

Thank you for sharing.

howard seth

#5: Post by howard seth »

Could have been mine? I owned a 1987 red Cremina (from 1987- approx. 2005). Bought from Zabars and shipped to me in Chicago Nov. 1987.

It had not been in use for about 8 years by 2005. A young woman drove down to Santa Cruz from Berkeley to buy mine. I was out-of-the-loop (Not yet addicted to the internet - or a member of Home Barista) and did not realize those Cremina had become objects of veneration. I should have guessed, maybe they were, in that she was willing to drive all the way to get mine - and the gleam in her eyes should have been the dead-giveaway. It needed some new gaskets and seals - otherwise in very good shape. I did not think she was an experienced home barista yet - but had been tipped off by a friend to make a beeline to get mine.

I wonder if she kept it...
Howie

spaz2 (original poster)

#6: Post by spaz2 (original poster) »

maybe it was yours once. I got it from new york. :)

tom

Eastsideloco

#7: Post by Eastsideloco »

Wow. Gorgeous powder coating. That is a thing of beauty.

Was the basically stainless unblemished? Or did you polish it up to get that mirror finish?

Enjoy the shots...

spaz2 (original poster)

#8: Post by spaz2 (original poster) replying to Eastsideloco »

Mostly used a stainless steel hand brush and a quick pass with extra fine steel wool.