3D Printing Arrarex Caravel Drip Tray?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Hello All:

I'm about to join the Caravel club and of course it's missing the drip tray. A replacement grate was supplied by Orphan Espresso. LVX suggested to me that the drip tray could be created using 3D printing and then painted with three coats of metallic paint and 2 coats of clear. Now there's also the option to 3D print in aluminum, but that's much more expensive.

What I don't have is a file of a 3D scanned or drawn original drip tray. Does anyone here have the ability to do such a scan or drawing?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Beenbag

#2: Post by Beenbag »

If you know the shape/size/profile you want , it would be a simple job for a skilled metal worker to produce you one in Al, stainless, copper, etc ..and much cheaper than 3Dp

Advertisement
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary (original poster) »

In any case, since I won't have a drip tray, can anyone provide high quality photos and measurements of one? Even better would be a 3D scan just to check out if 3D printing prices have come down. The easiest workaround for that, I know, is a dense sponge that would support the drip grate that will come with the machine.
Gary
LMWDP#308

galumay

#4: Post by galumay »

Gary, I should be able to supply you with a drip tray. Let me have a look through my spares stock.
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary (original poster) »

That's fantastic! I'll PM you.
Gary
LMWDP#308

doubleOsoul

#6: Post by doubleOsoul »

The power of HB once again!

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary (original poster) »

If Rick has one to offer me I'll try and get a quote for what it costs to 3D scan and print it. Starting to research 3D printing I found tremendous variation in cost, some inexpensive it seemed, and this varied by materials used.

If anyone knows a way to source a portafilter handle that mimics the original that would be great (i.e., not the OE one that looks different but something turned in black plastic like the original Bakelite). I would also like to source an original drip grate or create one if possible.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Advertisement
pechelman

#8: Post by pechelman »

if you're looking at ABS printing, be aware that the parts I've printed and have experience are not water-tight

They are, in fact, designed not to be that way so the solvent can permeate the material and dissolve the supports the machine builds up to support the part during printing.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary (original poster) »

It's all new learning for me. I've seen an indirect method where someone creates a plastic part from a 3D file, creates a mold around that part, heats it in a kiln to melt the plastic, then uses the mold to cast aluminum. But my quick web search is also showing me they're advancing this technology into carving objects out of very hard metals. I think the early application is medical devices, like creating artificial knees to fit a patient or creating prototype machine parts. I don't know, though, how much costs are coming down or will come down and how soon.
Gary
LMWDP#308

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

I'd think that being near Silicon Valley that there'd be a lot of options for 3D printing (AKA Rapid Prototyping) around here that might not be all that expensive. The last company I worked for used this to mock up product enclosures in a hurry.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272