3 group La Pavoni P67 rebuild

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
craigcharity

#1: Post by craigcharity »

I finally got another old lever to rebuild, they are flipping scarce in South Africa. I did a rebuild on a 2 group P67 that a mate of my in London has now. I must admit a 3 group is a bit big for my liking as it would cost quite a bit to run in my house.

I found this in a rural settlement near where I live, the guy wanted a smaller machine because he had a mobile coffee business that he had to carry this to places. I was being used, I don't know how but it was. It is surprising how these machines can operate even under such extreme conditions, the coffee could not have been good though.

hbrocks

#2: Post by hbrocks »

congratulations...!
Looks awesome and I know how exciting it is to have a new toy to play with.
Keep us posted on your progress!
Thanks for sharing!

craigcharity (original poster)

#3: Post by craigcharity (original poster) »

I dont know if this is origional, i doubt it though, a mild steel drip tray???

It smelt like they used engine grease in in the piston chamber and the gaskets on the piston looked they didnt handle too well under the temperature in the group so I doubt they were EPDM.

Obviously there was a leak in the piston past the v gaskets on the piston and they plugged it up to stop it leaking in the coffee.

They had used a galvanised mild steel fitting for the dipper tube which snapped off, had to use a reverse thread easy outie(That's what I call them, I don't know if it is the correct name)

4 hours later, all in pieces, I will be dropping the frame and panels off today to get power coated, the other parts for chroming might take a while. I usually end up swapping coffee(I have a roastery) or coffee equipment for my electroplating:) its great dealing in legal drugs:)

I assume the nuts on the neck of the group are to adjust the flow of water into the group. They have a small metal shaft that is on a thread that I assume gets adjusted to go above the one way ball bearing that stops it from moving up too high restricting flow???

One more question:

This machine has what looks like the old e61 plastic tap handle, The original pics that I have seen have a smaler tap with a white face. Does anyone know if some perhaps came out with this style tap handle?

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#4: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

Wow, great vintage machine, i love those slender looking groups. It's funny how you mention that the seller needed something smaller-it's obvious to me what he really needed was something that worked, it looks like. But you have some work to do, and I hope that the cylinders aren't corroded beyond reasonable repair. I just this week spied a 2 group like yours for sale here in the States though I have my hands full with now 4 2groups at the moment :shock:

Looks like the drip tray is original. They are all plastic nowadays.
Yes, the nuts on the necks are indeed flow control valves for incoming boiler water.
You should be able to find valve knobs easily as well.

Have fun!
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

garyashe

#5: Post by garyashe »

Looking good Craig!

craigcharity (original poster)

#6: Post by craigcharity (original poster) »

I know its been a while. But i have made some progress.

The frame is powdercoated, groups rechromed, springs in, gaskets on, boiler acid soaked and passified. I am waiting for the boiler flange to come back( I needed to get some helicoils put in).

I managed to use my lathe to get the springs on. It wasn't easy but definitely more time efficient than my make shift wooden plank with 4 threaded bars which takes absolutely ages to compress the springs.

I am very happy so far with the progress. I haven't had much time due to work and WBC prep but rebuilding machines like this really rejuvenates me.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Craig

rotchitos

#7: Post by rotchitos »

it sparkles, superbe :D
http://machines.cafeslevier.free.fr/
I look for persons to translate into English one or + pages of my site... :-)