1st gen Olympia Cremina maintenance

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
max

#1: Post by max »

Half a year ago I had no plans whatsoever to enter the espresso world, but it seems like fate wants me to make espresso.

After finding my Pavoni in an attic, this was found in a storage room:

In short: I'm a lucky man :D

Apart from scratched chrome on the backside, I think I'll be able to sort out most issues on my own. For now I have one question:

The machine has green deposits similar to those in this thread: 1977 La Pavoni Europiccola with green deposits/scale

After descaling with white vinegar there is still some left.

Is it OK to leave this amount or should I descale again?

cuppajoe

#2: Post by cuppajoe »

Wow, nice 'finds'. Think it's time to go through the whole house...

That is a rather rare machine -http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Macch ... 22_eng.htm. Looks to be in decent shape, is the portafilter there? I've only had experience with one LP and the Marcfi(La Cara, etc.) line. If it were me I would want to get it as clean as possible.

Lots of LP users here, so hopefully some will chime in.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

forbeskm

#3: Post by forbeskm »

If that is all there is you could just set it on its nose and put a piece of paper towel soaked in vinegar on top of the scale.

Another quick descale shouldn't hurt though the rest looks clean so I'd go the paper towel route. I always use hot water with the vinegar, 15-30 soak, followed by full rinse or two, then pull two tanks through on heat.

weebit_nutty

#4: Post by weebit_nutty »

I wouldn't descale it again, just to dissolve the last itty bitty 1%. You'll be doing more harm than good, IMHO. Personally I would have done a tear down. But that's me. I generally like using machines only after they've gone through a complete overhaul.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

forbeskm

#5: Post by forbeskm replying to weebit_nutty »

A complete overhaul on the pre 74 I would still leave the group head on as I do not see much value in breaking that connection with the screw in group as long as the group is in good condition. DrGary did remove his in his thread but did not really recommend it if he did it again. I have rebuilt 4 pre 74 and left the groups all on (still rebuilt but not removed).

weebit_nutty

#6: Post by weebit_nutty »

well, it really depends on how thorough you want to be. My machines are polished inside and out before first use. Totally OCD, I know :lol:
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary replying to weebit_nutty »

It also depends on how thorough you need to be. A teardown on a very old machine can do damage. And it may be unnecessary in this case.

Regarding that small bit of scale, you could run that Cremina on distilled water for awhile. The scale will dissolve. The main thing you want to check is to make sure there's no scale on the dual heating elements. If there is more descaling is needed.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

max (original poster)

#8: Post by max (original poster) »

cuppajoe wrote: That is a rather rare machine -http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Macch ... 22_eng.htm. Looks to be in decent shape, is the portafilter there?
I think this is the actual model: http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Macch ... 68_eng.htm
There is a portafilter. Most things are intact or in good condition. Main issues are dirt and some type of microscopic crystals on the exterior metal as well as a dank smell from the boiler (it had been stored with water.. probably for decades). The latter seems to be gone after the descale though.

I think I'll leave it there for now and let it slowly dissolve naturally. Having just read Water for coffee ("Water For Coffee" book discussion thread), I'm anyway determined to try the distilled water route. There is also a bigger crystal at the bottom of the boiler-to-group pipe, which didn't entirely dissolve in the vinegar. I'll leave that one too since the heating element is as clean as it can be.

I will certainly not do a full teardown unless necessary. I have contacted Francesco for a full kit so gaskets will be replaced. How necessary is it to replace the heating element gasket and the boiler-to-base spacers? Currently I have neither the time nor the tools so I'd prefer to leave them if I can.

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

No need to replace the latter gaskets unless they're failing. The heating element gasket would leak. The spacers harden in place, which you wouldn't know without removing the boiler, and they are only spacers. Great find'
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

max (original poster)

#10: Post by max (original poster) replying to drgary »

That's good news! Let's just hope I'll notice the leak with the metal base in the way.

Only thing to worry about then is how to get out the piston sleeve. Will think about it while waiting for the post to deliver the gaskets.