1987 Olympia Cremina 67 wiring diagram

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
derd

#1: Post by derd »

Hello Forum

New member here rebuilding a trusty but rusty and crusty Cremina. It's a friend's machine. It has the 1" square switch opening in the front panel. All the terminals are melted. I am going to have to replace all of the wiring and I'm not sure if just replacing what's there is going to be good enough. It's been messed with by various people over the years so I'm not exactly sure that what's there is correct. It was in shabby shape when I started. I'd really rather have some kind of correct wiring schematic so I can be sure it's wired properly. I know it's dead simple however I'd still rather have a diagram. I have a new front main power switch coming, from Cafe Parts #47035 Bipolar 16A. I am pretty sure I am going to have to carefully file a bit of the opening in the front stainless panel to get this to fit. The switch I'm replacing seems to be identical to the Cafe Parts #57347 and has come apart. If someone here has any information about getting an original switch I'd appreciate it, but from what I have gathered it's pretty much impossible.

Any helpful tips gratefully appreciated, thanks

espressme

#2: Post by espressme »

If I am not mistaken, OE has the Rebuilding videos and those may help They used to have wiring kits also. Contact them to see if someone else is selling them now.
Here is the video you want at this time.
http://youtu.be/y7DXZok-TeE
All the Cremina videos are here!
http://www.orphanespresso.com/Olympia-C ... 548-1.html
~Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

Advertisement
orphanespresso
Sponsor

#3: Post by orphanespresso »

This switch is a direct fit into the square panel hole
http://www.cafeparts.com/Product.asp?ItemID=53747

The one you reference is a rectangular hole not square and will require a lot of filing and may not give you a lot of happiness.

The backstory: We tried for years to source the 25mm square switch for the Olympia without success. Back when one could occaisionally secure a parts order from Olympia Express we were lucky enough to get a replacement square switch from Switzerland. The one they sent was the #53747, with the round toggle and not square toggle as original. So for Olympia this round toggle switch had become OEM. We eventually sourced the same switch from Ascaso listed as a Faema vending switch. To our knowledge there is no other 25mm square body push in DPDT illuminated switch on the market. The round toggle looks fine on the Cremina as well as the Maximatic and has the advantage of being a direct plug and play fit.

derd (original poster)

#4: Post by derd (original poster) »

Thanks. The switch I'm replacing is the one you recommend. I don't think I'm going to go that route. I don't like the round rocker button, and I like the green illumination much better than the red. With the red ready light and back cover, the polished stainless front panel, and the green power switch light, I can have the Italian Tricolore scheme going. Yes I know the machine is made in Switzerland, but it's made in the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland which would kind of explain why it's so impossible to get original parts for the thing. I also like that the #47035 is rated for 6A more than the #57347. The #47035 is the switch I will be using for this rebuild because I simply refuse to use the #57347, it looks cheap and inappropriate. The #47035 will likely make me very happy indeed.

I have scrutinized the switch dimensions and understand that it is rectilinear and not square. However Doug you will also understand that the hole in the front panel is not square either. It is wider either vertically or horizontally by 1/16" than it is in the other dimension. I will only have to file 2.5mm or so from either side of the opening, if that much, to enable this switch to fit. Not a huge deal considering the time I have already put into this rebuild.

Now on to my original question - does anyone have a wiring diagram that clearly shows where the wires go and where the terminals are supposed to be plugged in? That would be immensely helpful.

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

This is the only electrical diagram I have seen for the Cremina:

http://shop.olympia-express.ch/OMTD/Cre ... EMINA_.GIF

See also:

Cremina blowing GFCI?

derd (original poster)

#6: Post by derd (original poster) »

Thanks Eastsideloco, much appreciated.