1973 la pavoni heating element problem

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Olle

#1: Post by Olle »

Hi. I am restoring my 1973 la pavoni, and I just reassembled it with new gaskets. I didn't change them all though, and when I started it up for the first time after the disasemble it was leaking very much from the heating element gasket. I took the element off and changed the old hard gasket, and since I found some scale on the heating element I took the chance to descale it. This is probably where it all went wrong. I put the heating element in a bowl with descaling, and let i be in there for about 10 minutes. I reasembled the whole thing again and when I put the plug in to the wall the fuse blew. The wireing is the same as before so that is not the problem. Is the heating element broken now? Can it be fixed? This heating element does not have a fuse as far I know, I am talking about the fuse in the appartment.

wsfarrell

#2: Post by wsfarrell »

Here's a pretty comprehensive guide to testing and repairing elements from Orphan Espresso. Hope it solves your problem.

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Olympia-a ... 620-1.html

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Did you put the entire element in descaling solution, terminal ends included? If so the link above can help you solve that problem. You never want to immerse the terminal end of a heating element in water, since it can cause a water short.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Olle (original poster)

#4: Post by Olle (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies. I didn't put the terminal ends into the solution, I think. Maby a little bit of them but not the whole. I will try the method from the OE link.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

If worst comes to worst your element can be rebuilt at less cost than buying a new element for the current version of the machine.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Olle (original poster)

#6: Post by Olle (original poster) »

Who can rebuild the element?

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Gabor, who's in Hungary. resistenza.60 at gmail dot com. I have an element he rebuilt. Works well.
Gary
LMWDP#308

redbone

#8: Post by redbone »

I'm currently waiting on two elements from him. Keep in mind it will take 2 months factoring in shipping and the 6 week wait process.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Olle (original poster)

#9: Post by Olle (original poster) »

It was the exact same problem as in the link from OE. I put the element in the oven for an hour but no differens. Back in to the oven again and this time for 6 hours, and it works! No short at all. Now I just need to find the right materials to rebuild it. Are there something I can use insted of glyptal paint and teflon collars?