1955 La San Marco Lollobrigida - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mathof

#21: Post by mathof »

keepitsimple wrote:
I look at it this way - and it applies to espresso machines as well. If the device - whatever it is - rather than being neglected, had been regularly maintained throughout its life, many parts would have been replaced refinished or refurbished, but it would probably be considered still to be original.
The 18th century philosopher David Hume would seem to agree:

"A ship, of which a considerable part has been changed by frequent reparations, is still considered as the same; nor does the difference of the materials hinder us from ascribing an identity to it. The common end, in which the parts conspire, is the same under all their variations, and affords an easy transition of the imagination from one situation of the body to another."

Matt

Paul_Pratt

#22: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Oh Tom that is in amazing condition, so glad the pattern on the body is in pristine condition. Such a stunning design.

As far as original condition goes, it certainly does look like it has never been messed with much. In my book you should use it gently and get coffee from it, replace all seals to get it working but keep the original seals, pack them away in ziploc bags just in case. I keep everything from my machines and on the machines I have sold the new owner gets the old original bits as well.

This is the 3rd machine to appear this year that I know of. So who knows how many there are out there.

drgary
Team HB

#23: Post by drgary »

Paul_Pratt wrote:In my book you should use it gently and get coffee from it, replace all seals to get it working but keep the original seals, pack them away in ziploc bags just in case. I keep everything from my machines and on the machines I have sold the new owner gets the old original bits as well.
When Doug Garrott restored my Lady Duchessa he installed new seals and returned a bag with the original parts, which I'm keeping. I don't think a buyer would argue with it being in working condition.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

turriga

#24: Post by turriga »

Congratulations,what a score! The second Lollo within such a short time and also in such a great shape!
Had the fortune to take a shot at Davide Lollo some weeks ago, an unbelievable experience!
Please keep on restoring that beauty!
Some parts are the same or at least similar at the Disco Volante or the Olympic!
Ciao
Andreas

Randy G.

#25: Post by Randy G. »

If it is a museum piece then it belongs in a museum. If not, it was meant to be used. Use it, enjoy it.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by FotonDrv »

Tom! You must have had to gobble some heart meds when you walked away from that estate sale! Very cool find!! Was there a rainbow coming out of the house? :lol:
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#27: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to FotonDrv »

It ended up being in the storage shed since I missed the actual estate sale. For the most part, 99.999% of "estate sales" listed on CL aren't. They're just collections of junk. Or neighborhoods that get together and dump all their junk in one indoor place to make it look like an estate sale. But there's not many that are held in nice areas of San Francisco, and once I saw the photo's of the stuff he was selling I knew it was worth inquiring.

But yeah, leading up to the moment that I set eyes on it, I kept my expectations low. I just couldn't believe he actually had one and it didn't sell.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by FotonDrv »

Pretty lucky you are!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Eastsideloco

#29: Post by Eastsideloco »

TomC wrote:A vague estate sale listing in San Francisco listed on Craiglist mentioned only "1950's espresso machine" and "espresso machine" hit on my search results. No photo of the machine at all, just pictures of the fine furniture, sculptures and works of art that were in the sale.
Score. Good job sniffing that out. Exquisite machine. Congratulations!

turriga

#30: Post by turriga »

TomC wrote:.........., LSM made only a few hundred of these machines, definitely under 2-300, of which, some reports have suggested that only as few as six are known to exist. One is in Australia in a museum, one is in Italy in a museum, perhaps two. One is in Israel, ........

To the existing numbers of surviving Lollos:
- 2x:I know two (lucky) owner in Germany (image above)
- 1x:I forgot another one in Germany
- 1x:Davide's in Italy
- 1x:Museo Cagliari Modena Italy
- 1x:(how many?)Mumac (Collezione Enrico Maltoni) Milano Italy
- 1x:Museo Italiano Carlton Australia
- 1x:that one you described in Israel
- 1x:and yours in San Francisco America

So it should be at least 9 machines still exist!

Maltoni also has posted in his bought note at subito.it some pictures of a two group Lollo!