1955 La San Marco Lollobrigida - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
doubleOsoul

#11: Post by doubleOsoul »

So fantastic you kept the price tag intact. I had the same feeling when I realized I was given the original Faema bag (colors intact) that held the Faema accessories... must be kept.

bostonbuzz

#12: Post by bostonbuzz »

Great work Tom. I wonder where it would have ended up if you didn't nab it?

I'm DYING to get a look into that group. It looks unique. Be sure to document that part well!
LMWDP #353

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#13: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to bostonbuzz »

The challenge is, like I mentioned in the first post, if I can't find OEM parts for the piston seals, then it will sit untouched without proceeding. Anything I do, short of just gently wiping away the grime on the surface can affect its value. It's only original once. If I can't find the piston seals, I don't think I'll do anything other than occasionally wipe her down and admire her. One stupid misstep on my part could potentially affect its value dramatically. But I agree, I'd love to examine the group further.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by dumpshot »

Holy Moly. It is almost as if all the previous owners didn't want to ruin her beauty by using it.

But she has been sitting idle too long! She was meant to be used and appreciated and respected. Congrats. Can't think of a better home. Well, I can think of one.

Can't wait to see the first shots out of her once you complete the (relatively little) restoration.

Pete
LMWDP #484

Sansibar99

#15: Post by Sansibar99 »

Hi Tom,
Davide has just restored another Lollo:
https://www.facebook.com/EspressoVintag ... =1&theater
Maybe he can give you inside info?

Also you might contact Julius Groten, maybe he has something for you, too:
http://www.julius-groten.de/lsm_ersatzteile.html

And there is Andrea in France, who might as well know everything about every old beauty ;-)

But what I started to wonder about:
Wasn't there any grinder with the machine? Do you keep that pictures for next week ? :mrgreen:

Enjoy your lady,

Holger
LMWDP #422

beer&mathematics

#16: Post by beer&mathematics »

Oh. Emm. Gee. Stunning.
LMWDP #431

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#17: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Sansibar99 wrote:Hi Tom,
Davide has just restored another Lollo:
https://www.facebook.com/EspressoVintag ... =1&theater
Maybe he can give you inside info?

Also you might contact Julius Groten, maybe he has something for you, too:
http://www.julius-groten.de/lsm_ersatzteile.html

And there is Andrea in France, who might as well know everything about every old beauty...

Holger

Thank you Holger,

I had already been in talks with Julius, and there's no options there to pursue. I've followed Espresso Vintage Passion on FB for quite some time, but never reached out to them. Like I mentioned earlier, hopefully this thread might gather around some resources for such a task.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#18: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

:shock:
Wow
As it is said, they sure don't make them like they used to.
Tom you must have silently squealed when you saw that machine. I know I would have!
Congratulations sir.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

JustinBrown1

#19: Post by JustinBrown1 »

dumpshot wrote:But she has been sitting idle too long! She was meant to be used and appreciated and respected. Congrats.
I couldn't agree more. This is certainly an incredible find. I think that the original/museum v. Original/working is a dilemma that most people (who are at least in your position) have to face. I understand that because her condition is so great, there is a sense of reluctance to disturb that. However, lest we forget, this is industrial design, which was meant to be a utilitarian product. Every day when I use my Mercurio, I just love playing with it. I get the same pleasure from making a cup of coffee from it as I did the day it arrived. My pleasure has been heightened by the fact that I can use it for what it was meant. I'm sure that an affinity with lollo will grow when this happens. And it is an affinity which can only be gained by using it. I believe that the ultimate sign of respect is to be able to use her. Museum pieces are accepting that something (the spirit) has died.
LMWDP 419

keepitsimple

#20: Post by keepitsimple »

There's always a dilemma with old equipment of more or less any sort, about whether to bring it back into use, which requires parts to be replaced or refurbished, or to leave it alone. I have an interest in old(er) mechanical watches, and the same debate occurs, particularly when the watch runs OK, but has bad cosmetic issues, especially with the dials. People want every part to be original if possible, and they are much more desirable if they are in original pristine condition - but what if the condition is bad ?

I look at it this way - and it applies to espresso machines as well. If the device - whatever it is - rather than being neglected, had been regularly maintained throughout its life, many parts would have been replaced refinished or refurbished, but it would probably be considered still to be original.

If you are rich enough to own a Patek Phillipe watch, for example, which is 50 years old, but it had been scrupulously serviced by the manufacturer every 5 years - so 9-10 times in its life, it will most certainly have had a new mainspring or 2, almost surely a new crystal or 2 (the glass front), probably a new crown (the winder) and because that manufacturer is extremely picky, very probably a new or refinished dial, new or refinished hands, and whatever cosmetic repolishing needed to be done to the case. It won't be the same as it came from the factory, but will still be considered "original". It will also have cost you many times the original purchase price, but that's a different issue ;o)

If it were mine, my preference would be to get this machine back working as it was always made to be, rather than sitting as a silent relic.

Many of us are very jealous of your find !

(edited for typos)