16 cup Professional boiler on 8 cup Europiccola?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dswaim

#1: Post by dswaim »

First, I am new to this forum, and have enjoyed reading the posts.

I have a pre millennium La Pavoni Europiccola that I have used occasionally over the years. The only problem is that it barely has the capacity to handle the volume of drinks I want to make. I am getting ready to add a gauge to it and am considering changing out the small boiler with the larger one from the Professional model. According to the parts manuals it appears that the other components are the same, including heater, pstat, base, tank fittings, etc. Mine is in excellent shape and I don't anticipate too much trouble removing and reinstalling these components.

I should add that I was in the commercial coffee industry for 25 years, primarily in the service end of it. I have worked on every brand, size, and type espresso machine out there, from manual to super automatic machines. I have a Bunn commercial coffee machine plumbed-in for my morning coffee.

My question is; does anyone know for certain that the larger boiler can/can't replace the smaller one? If I had access to a Professional model I could see for myself. I see many people on here that have a lot of experience with various machines and am hoping someone has both models.

Thanks, Denny

hankbates

#2: Post by hankbates »

Pavoni did a pretty good job of making most parts interchangeable between various models. I would have no problem with going ahead with the boiler swapout. Finding an incomplete Pro machine on eBay, etc. might be a good route to follow, it would also provide a gauge and all the items normally attached to the boiler would be there. Buying a new boiler would be a lot more work....
I am assuming that your EP is a single switch, Pstat equipped machine, but even if not the swap shouldn't be too difficult.
Many people like the EP's because they are somewhat more convenient to use for making one or two cups, and making several cups in quick succession is problematic for any Pavoni size, due to group overheating. You may not be really happy with your improvement, but you certainly will not need to fill the boiler so often.
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…

dswaim (original poster)

#3: Post by dswaim (original poster) »

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm realizing it probably isn't worth it, unless I found a good deal on the larger boiler. I haven't found any online, either new or used. I still have contacts in the business and could probably get a new one at or near wholesale cost, but still...

I can get 5 or 6 cappuccinos/lattes out of one tank with single shots, but the quality is probably compromised by the volume. That's why I'm considering the gauge addition.

mathof

#4: Post by mathof »

There are plenty of new ones online. Here's the first that came up when I goggled "la pavoni parts boiler"

http://www.espressoservices.co.uk/34101 ... a_8_c.html

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

To the OP, a quick call to a La Pavoni dealer should let you know whether the Professional boiler fits a Europiccola base.
hankbates wrote:and making several cups in quick succession is problematic for any Pavoni size, due to group overheating. You may not be really happy with your improvement, but you certainly will not need to fill the boiler so often.
This is incorrect if you measure group temperature, have the PSTAT set at a moderate level, and if necessary dip the portafilter in water between shots so when you lock it in you cool the group. A Teflon or similar heat break gasket* between the group and boiler further reduces any tendency to overheat.

* If installing a do-it-yourself heat break gasket instead of a factory spec part, for safety, be sure to install bolts that are longer by at least the extra thickness of the gasket. You'll want to have the bolt turn in by six full threads of engagement into the boiler, keeping in mind that any modifications to factory specification are taken at your risk as per the terms of use that you agree to when accessing this site.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

hankbates

#6: Post by hankbates »

drgary wrote:To the OP, a quick call to a La Pavoni dealer should let you know whether the Professional boiler fits a Europiccola base.

If you measure group temperature, have the PSTAT set at a moderate level, and if necessary dip the portafilter in water between shots so when you lock it in you cool the group. A Teflon or similar heat break gasket between the group and boiler further reduces any tendency to overheat.
All good suggestions, but before adding a gasket between group and boiler you should look at this thread.
Bolt problem on La Pavoni lever machine
Many La Pavonis have been supplied from the factory with capscrews which are shorter than desirable. If you have screws with 12mm thread length, you might want to try some with a longer length such as M6 x 16mm. On my machine, I found that to use 20mm thread length, a washer or two would be necessary.

hankbates

#7: Post by hankbates »

A good example of what you want to do is the Ambassador model which Pavoni made in the 80's for the US market. It was identical to the Europiccola except for the larger boiler as used on the Professional model.

See one currently on eBay, item 231111869716.