Your opinion needed on new cleaning tool

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
coffee-friend

#1: Post by coffee-friend »

This request goes to the espresso-geeks (so all of you, right?):

I need your opinion about a project I have been working on lately. It is related to a new type of cleaning brush for the brewing group of an Espresso machine.

Here are pictures of a prototype from top and bottom:

top:

bottom:

The blue part is a flexible membrane which acts like a brush mounted inside a portafilter with closed bottom. The portafilter part can be inserted into the brewing group (of an E61 or similar). By rotating the "portafilter" back and forth the blue membrane scrapes all surfaces of the shower and the sealing in the top of the brewing group.
This should remove any coffee residues adhering to these surfaces. The process is enhanced by hot water flowing from the shower into the portafilter and past the membrane. The water carrying the coffee residues leaves the portafilter through small recesses in the upper rim and flows into a drain mounted on the outer circumference of the portafilter. The water leaves the drain through holes and is guided onto rips at the bottom of the portafilter. It then runs along these rips to eventually drop-off at the middle "wall" and falls from there into the drain of the espresso machine.

Here is a sketch of this "brush" mounted into a brewing group and cut in the center plane (here shown with bristles instead of the membrane):

The arrows mark the flow of the hot water.

The process of cleaning would therefore look something like this:
- The tool is mounted into the brewing group (like a normal portafilter).
- Hot water is started, after a while it starts emerging from the tool and runs down to the bottom/middle and into the drain of the machine.
- The tool is repeatedly rotated back and forth by roughly 60 degrees about the vertical axis of the brewing group.
- Initially the water is dark/brown, but clears up after a short while (roughly 20 sec.). This indicates that the shower and the sealing are clean.
- Hot water ist stopped.
- The tool is removed from the brewing group.

This process is intended to replace any scrubbing done with other brushes normally used for cleaning brewing groups.
Hopefully you can get a rough idea of what I am trying to explain here.

Please share your thoughts about this project. I'm especially interested in these points:
- Do you think the process detailed above is an improvement over conventional brushing?
- Could this be a regular part of your cleaning habits (like: brushing every day, chemical back-flush every week/month depending on usage)?

Currently I ponder whether I should commercialize this tool. However before I take any steps into that direction I first would like to hear some opinion from potential users.
Please share your thoughts. I would greatly appreciate any input (negative or positive). Thank you!

doublehelix

#2: Post by doublehelix »

Awesome concept! Might also market a flushable cleaning paste to go on the brushes. A steamer (wand) cleaner would also be useful. Perhaps, that could go on the other end of your tool?

Another suggestion, is just to make an insert (basket-like) that goes into a PF. Given your ingenious design, that may not be possible, but if you could pull it off then you would just have to accommodate a small set of basket sizes--58 mm, etc...

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

coffee-friend wrote:Currently I ponder whether I should commercialize this tool. However before I take any steps into that direction I first would like to hear some opinion from potential users.
Please note your post represents a commercial post, which is not allowed by the site's terms of service. Normally it would be deleted, but we're experimenting with more leniency for early prototypes, so we'll keep this thread open for now so you can share your ideas. If this moves from an idea to commercial application, the rules documented in Vendor participation in the forums will apply in full force. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

dominico
Team HB

#4: Post by dominico »

Two questions:

Why include portafilter ears? It could service more group types without them.

What sets this apart from the Cafelat brush of very similar shape?
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

Looks like it would cover more surface area than the Cafelat brush.

Let's see a video of the brush in action.
Scott
LMWDP #248

cuppajoe

#6: Post by cuppajoe »

Interesting concept. Only thing I would modify is instead of the 'locking ears', put brushes up there to fully clean out the channel.

You could also rig it up with a tube that attaches to the steam or water wands like that other brush. Steam, brush, and flush all in one go.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

coffee-friend (original poster)

#7: Post by coffee-friend (original poster) »

@doublehelix:
- cleaning paste: the tool would be perfectly usable with common cleaning agents used for back-flushing. It is also possible to immerse the shower in a concentrated cleaning solution and let sit for a while without pushing the detergent back into the machine (no over-pressure in the cup), which would give a very thorough cleaning of the shower without removing the lubricants needed for mechanical valves.
- wand cleaner: good idea
- basket-insert: I thought about this one too. But there are several challenges regarding the mechanics of such a solution (how to prevent the insert from rotating/collapsing in the basket, there is only very little space in the basket next to the shower, etc.), so I went with this approach

@HB:
I am sorry.
I consider this prototype a concept and not (yet?) a commercial application. Having seen another prototype being discussed in this forum (pressurized container for beans) I thought this would be acceptable. I really didn't intend to violate the terms of service, for which I apologize.

Thank you for allowing this thread to be kept open.

@dominico:
- ears: My approach was that it is more convenient to have the tool being supported by the brewing group. The design can fit showers with diameters from 59mm to 54mm (flexible membrane). But you raise a valid point. I have to think about it.
- design choice: Having a closed bottom allows for the coffee residues on the sides of the shower and on the sealing to be flushed out. I think this is quite convenient.

@sweaner:
I uploaded a video to Youtube:
https://youtu.be/AULNgiJrP7g

@cuppajoe:
- ears: The second one to raise this point. I really should think about this!
- steam: Very interesting idea. However, I'm somewhat concerned to combine boiling water and pressure for safety reasons.

@all:
Thank you very much for your thoughts. This is very helpful!

(edit: cleaned up video link)

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

Looks like an interesting idea but so did the Cafelat Brush. Mine lives in a drawer. Takes a couple seconds to clean off the screen & gasket using my long handled Pallo brush. Simple & effective.
LMWDP 267

sweaner

#9: Post by sweaner »

If this device can hold up to daily use, I think that there is a market for it...assuming a reasonable price.
Scott
LMWDP #248

keno

#10: Post by keno »

Looks like a great idea! From what I can see of the video it works great and looks like it's easy to use. I would be interested in a cleaning brush like this if it holds up okay with regular use and doesn't cost too much. I realize it's a prototype (3D printed?), but I'd like to see the handle in black plastic.

Only suggestion would be to build a small screwdriver head into the bottom so you can flip it over and use it to remove the shower screen.

Nice work!