World Barista Championship Updated 2013 Rules and Regulations (Espresso Evaluation)

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Noticed some interesting changes in the 2013 WBC rules and regulations. After admiring the pics of tiger stripes in the other thread here, I was checking the WBC rules for crema color.

Since the SCAE CDS Barista Level II exam uses the WBC rules and regulations as the evaluation standard for the practical exam, I was reading them to see what has changed. Interesting to read the updates for the espresso evaluation in the 2013 rules, (2012 rules here).

Crema is no longer evaluated by color, it must just "stretch across the entire surface of the espresso and not have any holes or broken spots".

Excerpt from 2012 espresso evaluation rules:

14.2.1 Colour of crema
Judges will visually evaluate the appearance of the crema for correct colour and appearance according to the barista's description. Any description by the barista regarding the colour or appearance of the crema must occur before the start of the extraction. If the competitor's description is given after the extraction has started, the default standard is to be used and the description disregarded. The description should be sufficiently specific and relevant to score high marks. Unless explained, crema that is excessively pale or not present is unacceptable and will result in (0) points.
14.2.2 Consistency and persistence of crema Crema must be present when espresso is served. The crema should be dense and smooth. Judges will gently stretch the crema by tilting the demitasse in one direction to determine the thickness of the crema and whether it is persistent and long lasting, with no centre break-up.
Note: Time is of the essence when evaluating the colour and consistency of crema. The taste balance is the most important 2012 World Barista Championship Rules and Regulations - Version 2011.09.10 Page 19
score, and judges must be sure to taste the espresso quickly while it is fresh (unless otherwise directed.)
14.2.3 Taste balance
Sensory judge will stir the espresso THREE (3) times with a spoon (moving the spoon front to back) to mix the flavours within the shot, then immediately taste. Sensory judges will take at least two complete sips to fully evaluate the espresso. Judges will nottaste the espresso off the spoon.
Note: Competitors may override the evaluation protocol by giving the judges specific alternative instructions on how they want the espresso evaluated. As long as the instructions are reasonable, the judges should follow all instructions given by the competitor. Judges will listen to any explanation given by the competitor and compare taste descriptions to match each beverage. There should be a correlation between the coffee beans used in the espresso and its taste profile. The ideal espresso has a harmonious taste balance including sweetness, acidity and/or bitterness.
14.2.4 Tactile balance
The mouthfeel should be full bodied, round and smooth. Judges perception of viscosity will have an influence on the score.
14.2.5 Correct espresso cups used
Espressos must be served in a two- to three-ounce (60 to 90 mL) cup with a handle. If so, the judge will mark "Yes."
14.2.6 Served with accessories
The espresso must be served with a spoon, napkin, and unflavoured water. All of these items must be present for the competitor to receive a "Yes" score. If one (or more) item is missing at the time the espresso is served, the judge will mark "No."

Here is an expert from the 2013 rules, for espresso evaluation:

14.2.1 Crema
Judges will visually evaluate the appearance of the crema for presence in the vessel. To score a "yes" the crema must stretch across the entire surface of the espresso and not have any holes or broken spots.
14.2.2 Consistency and persistence of crema
Crema must be present when espresso is served. The crema should be dense and smooth. Judges will gently stretch the crema by tilting the vessel in one direction to determine the thickness of the crema and whether it is persistent and long lasting, with no centre break-up.
14.2.3 Taste Balance
Sensory judges will stir the espresso THREE (3) times with a spoon (moving the spoon front to back) to mix the flavours within the shot, then immediately taste. Sensory judges will take at least two complete sips to fully evaluate the espresso. Judges will not taste the espresso off the spoon.
Note: Competitors may override the evaluation protocol by giving the judges specific alternative instructions on how they want the espresso evaluated. As long as the instructions are reasonable, the judges should follow all instructions given by the competitor. An espresso with a harmonious taste balance including sweetness, acidity and/or bitterness will receive a high score.
14.2.4 Flavour
Judges will listen to the flavour descriptions and explanations given by the competitor and compare those with the beverage served. While balance is not taken into consideration, there should be a correlation between the coffee beans used in the espresso and its taste profile. Any flavour descriptors given by the competitor for their espresso will be taken into consideration under this score. This score is based on how accurately these descriptors match the flavour of the espresso. Flavour descriptors
must be given or a score of zero will be received in this category.
14.2.5 Tactile
Judges will listen to the tactile descriptions and explanations given by the competitor and compare those with the body and mouthfeel of the beverage served. The espresso should have body and texture that correlate with the preparation, method of extraction, and coffee beans used in the espresso. The competitor will be scored solely on any tactile descriptors they offer the judges and how accurately these descriptors match the tactile sensation of their espresso. If no descriptors are provided, the expectation will be a full-bodied, round, and smooth mouthfeel.
14.2.6 Functional and correct espresso vessel used
Espresso must be served in a 60 to 90ml vessel from which judges must be able to drink as required without any functional detriment to their ability to score accurately; this includes but is not exclusive to: vessel being too hot, unable to hold and drink from vessel safely, judges unable to execute espresso evaluation protocol. Otherwise a "No" will be given for "Functional and correct espresso cup used."
LMWDP #371

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

I like the addition of a flavor category -- taste balance alone always struck me as either a very basic requirement or as the flavor category in disguise (it depended on the competition's head judge on how that used to work)
Jim Schulman

LaDan

#3: Post by LaDan »

Who decide on these rule? A small group of people in SCAA, or are they asking judges to participate?

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:I like the addition of a flavor category -- taste balance alone always struck me as either a very basic requirement or as the flavor category in disguise (it depended on the competition's head judge on how that used to work)
Yes. I like this increase in focus on flavor as well. I always enjoy hearing the barista explain the profile they were trying to create in the espresso, and then see if I taste that when I taste shots from their bean. It was a great setup in Vienna that allowed us to taste the competition beans at the espresso tasting stations in front of the arena. I hope this is done again in Australia.
LMWDP #371

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

LaDan wrote:Who decide on these rule? A small group of people in SCAA, or are they asking judges to participate?
There is a committee, formed of SCAA and SCAE members, all of them are from the industry.

The current rules and regulations committee is:
Rules and Regulations Committee
Primary role Developing, evaluating, and translating the rules and regulations for the competition. Improving the clarity and purpose of the rules and competition structure. Acting as the authority for interpretation, and clearly documenting all processes for decision-making around the rules and regulations.
Members Matts Johansson, Andrew Hetzel, Carl Sara, Emma Markland Webster, Jon Willasen, Jens Brine, Mike Yung
Chair Matts Johansson

I have met a couple of the members, and I was in some classes led by Jon Willasen. He is very knowledgeable, and is doing a lot to promote specialty coffee around the world.
LMWDP #371

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

They served the Barista, brew and coffee of the year competition coffees at the SCAA this year. For me, sampling these was the highlight of each day.

Also, if you ever despair about people's appreciation of good coffee; seeing the smart-phone driven stampede wherever a really great coffee was being served is very therapeutic (as well as quite tasty). :lol:
Jim Schulman