Wood handles for La Pavoni Europiccola

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
FirstBetta

#1: Post by FirstBetta »

I thought I had bookmarked the thread of the artist who turned wooden handles for Pavoni. Guess what, I didn't. Could some kind soul send a link or other location for the artist so I can keep it on file for when I acquire my machine?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Dan Kehn

da gino

#3: Post by da gino »

If you are looking for a Pavoni specific thread there is also this older thread from when I turned handles for my Pavoni. I don't qualify as an "artist" as Dave does, but if you need info on the threads etc, you may find it there...

Turning your own wooden handles for la pavoni

If you want to buy the handles instead of make them yourself Dave's thread is definitely the way to go.

rpavlis

#4: Post by rpavlis »

More recent La Pavoni levers seem to use M12x1.75 threads for both the group handle and the portafilter one. Earlier portafilter ones use M10x1.5, if I recall correctly. With very hard hard woods one can cut the threads directly in the wood. One needs to be careful doing this, turn the tap into the bore, and remove it and clean out chips frequently. With softer woods it is better to make a metal insert.

I have a brass group handle on one of my La Pavoni machines. I originally intended to have a portafilter handle made of brass too, but brass is too good a conductor of heat for this. The machine with the brass handle also has a brass steam control knob, I have had no problems with it getting too hot. One might make a brass portafilter handle and hollow it out and put a wooden insert in it from very hard wood, the reverse of what is done with soft woods!

My 1999 La Pavoni has all Gabon ebony wood handles, including the cap. The steam control knob and the boiler cap, of course, are brass and wood.

With care small metal lathes can be used to make hard wood items, but be careful to remove all traces of saw dust after doing this to prevent lathe corrosion damage.