Will this Bellman steam milk as good as Quickmill Alexia? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
CrookedChris

#11: Post by CrookedChris »

AUSTINrob, any more experience with this guy? I'm considering buying one but I don't want to go out and drop the cash if it's no good.

I'd be interested to hear if your troubles persisted or if you found a method to make it work.

Also see Microfoam possible on Bellman stovetop steamer?

kupe

#12: Post by kupe »

I have the Bellman CX-25 Moka/steamer combo. I only have experience steaming on a Gaggia Classic (with Silvia steam wand) and a La Cimbali Selectron M29. Obviously it's nowhere near the La Cimbali's steaming power, but it easily beats the Gaggia and I'll use it if I'm steaming enough milk to require my 20 oz pitcher over my 12 oz. I'm pretty happy with it.

This model is pretty simple to get the correct water level since there are lines for how many servings you're supposed to fill for. I just use the lowest line and get good pressure. It does take a good amount of time to heat up though.

AUSTINrob (original poster)

#13: Post by AUSTINrob (original poster) »

CrookedChris wrote:AUSTINrob, any more experience with this guy? I'm considering buying one but I don't want to go out and drop the cash if it's no good.

I'd be interested to hear if your troubles persisted or if you found a method to make it work.

Also see Microfoam possible on Bellman stovetop steamer?
No, definitely a big let down - for me at least...and my wife still gets mad at me everytime she sees it sitting in the cabinet not getting used. Comparing the steam from that unit to my alexia was a joke - there is NO comparison.

In fact, if anyone in texas wants it - it's yours for $30!!

Psyd

#14: Post by Psyd »

AUSTINrob wrote: In fact, if anyone in texas wants it - it's yours for $30!!
I'm in Arizona, but I'm willing to pay the Customs fee from the People's Free Republic of Texas (or are y'all still going with Moscow on the Brazos?)
If you're unwilling to ship, I'd come by and pick it up in 2012, as I'm gonna be there for the inaugural Formula One race. Find out if anyone has the espresso concession there,and maybe the HB'ers can get together with an army of home machines and make ticket money! ; >

PM me if you're serious about letting the thing go.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

zix

#15: Post by zix »

To AUSTINrob and others who might still have this thread on watch: I just got a new Bellman steamer, have tried three times to steam a medium large pitcher (enough for a caffè latte), and succeeded three times.

Pressure was ridiculously low the first and third time, but guess what - it didn't matter! I got glorious microfoam and it wasn't even hard. Finding the surf level was much easier than on my Bezzera lever (with which I can change the kitchen to a turkish sauna).

It seemed to take forever to heat the milk to 55°C, but I am sure when I get the pressure up, steaming times will get shorter. I followed the instructions, filling the boiler to the handle bolt - will try filling only up to 1/3 next time and report if I get higher pressure with the same heat-up time. I guess I should, according to the laws of physics... but anyway: like the steamer, it will definitely be a part of the travel kit.

P.S. Again, I think I have bought something that works a lot better over a gas flame than over these nice looking but inefficient electric stove tops. The Bacchi is ever so much better when gas heated...
LMWDP #047

zix

#16: Post by zix »

Fourth time today. Filled the Bellman to around 1/2 full. Faster up to steam today, I even managed to trigger the over pressure safety valve. Still not half as much pressure as my Bezzie lady, so a longer stretching phase, but microfoam:yes.

Perhaps I should add that my pitcher is a "milk to perfection" one, with an extra centre rod in it. Not that I see any extra swirling with this pitcher - in fact I can't see any swirling at all when using the Bellman. I do find the centre rod a good place to put the steam tip to, though. Oh, and I use milk with 3% fat, pasteurised but at a lowish temp. I like it best non-homogenised, but the one we have been using so far with the Bellman is homogenised. So, no special "barista" formula, just regular milk.
LMWDP #047

zix

#17: Post by zix »

Something nasty happened the other day: the Bellman more or less exploded on the stove and became a rocket. It flew away across the kitchen, ending up under the kitchen table. When I had waited for my heart to stop racing, I took it up and found that it was the lower (round profile) thin gasket that had popped out during heat-up. The gasket hadn't burst, so I unscrewed the lid, poured cold water in it, this time screwed it really tight, and started again. No problem.

I don't know if my unit is a bit special, but would just like to send out a general heads up to other users of the Bellman (perhaps particularly new users). I have had steam release through the lid once before, but not as dramatic.
That time, and this time, I know that the reason was that I didn't screw the lid properly down all the way. This means that the lid seal will burst before the safety (overpressure) valve opens and the lower gasket is the weak point.

There is no problem with the safety valve - as far as I can see it still works fine. I will probably change the lower gasket before using the Bellman again - even though I did steam milk with it just after the steam happening, I don't feel I can rely on that lower gasket. It feels a bit flabby and soft, don't think it did before.
LMWDP #047