Why aren't all knockboxes like this?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
bigbad

#1: Post by bigbad »

I just got into espressos a year ago, so it was really a crash course in a bunch of different gadgets and accessories for me. Some things were easier to understand than others.

When it came to knockboxes, I always assumed there would be a way to detach the rubber bar for cleanup purposes, but after much research, I realized a detachable rubber bar was not the standard yet...

I don't know why... I doubt I'm a genius who thought of this first.

Has anybody else wondered this about knockboxes? They're a pain to clean, because the bar's in the way... not that I clean mine that much, anyway, but still.

Check out this knockbox. Nothing special... other than the fact that the bar appears to be detachable. I haven't seen another knockbox with a detachable bar, and when I was surfing the net a year ago for a knockbox with a detachable bar, I remember seeing this model on the internet. Apparently, it was a post indicating that this was the knockbox all the folks were talking about at some coffee convention. So at the time, it wasn't for sale yet. Really? After all these years, somebody just thought of this now?

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Cafela ... 800-06.htm

michaelbenis

#2: Post by michaelbenis »

I have the bigger model of the same design: http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Cafela ... 800-07.htm

It's by far the best knock box I've ever owned in terms of sound (or the lack of it) in use, splash control, ease of emptying and ease of cleaning. Like pretty much everything Cafelat produce it's a fantastic combination of user insight and designer values.

Cheers

Mike
LMWDP No. 237

Spitz.me

#3: Post by Spitz.me »

I guess there isn't a company out there - Does Cafelat sell extra knockbox bars? - that thinks there's a market for the knockbox bar and figured, if that's the case, why give the end-user the ability to replace it.

What it seems like to me, is that Cafelat made something more easily and was probably thinking more about the ability to chuck spent pucks, than the ability to replace the bar.
LMWDP #670

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

I have the Cafelat Tubbi and have been using it for just over a year. It takes a real beating and still looks new. Washes up very easily.

ChrisCoffee has replacement bars HERE, but I think those come as one piece (rubber cover and tubular stainless inner bar).
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

shadowfax

#5: Post by shadowfax »

Spitz.me wrote:What it seems like to me, is that Cafelat made something more easily and was probably thinking more about the ability to chuck spent pucks, than the ability to replace the bar.
I believe that the bigger motivation was probably reducing the number of parts and making it easier to clean. I never had trouble emptying pucks from my older knockboxes-just hold it upside down over the trash can and knock the bottom a couple times. But they were a pain to clean properly: it's very awkward to get around the bar with a brush and also to clean the underside of the bar when you can't easily take it apart.

The newer Cafelat design makes cleaning about par with washing a bowl and a rolling pin.
Nicholas Lundgaard

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

bigbad wrote:Has anybody else wondered this about knockboxes? They're a pain to clean, because the bar's in the way... not that I clean mine that much, anyway, but still.
[Emphasis added]

You should have whichever well-designed knock box your heart desires. But...

If you don't let the old, wet grounds sit around, they won't stick as much. Nothing knocks them off like plenty of water. Try washing, or at least rinsing, the box every day. Use your sink's pressure hose, a rag, your hand, and/or a wire handle brush which can be bent to shape as necessary. Dry as best you can before returning it to your (coffee) counter, and let it finish air-drying overnight.

You probably already do this, but (just in case)...

While you're at it, scrub the oils out of the interior of the pf with a Scotch-Brite, wash the pf basket (using your Scotch Brite gently), back flush, brush the group head, and rinse and dry the drip tray and grinder slop tray. Every day you froth milk, run the steam wand into a pitcher of hot water then wipe it down with a damp sponge or cloth. Use your barista's towel to wipe down everything you can't get to the sink.

Your coffee will taste a lot better if you keep everydamnthing scrupulously clean. More, you won't be distracted by old smells and will have a much better idea of what's going on. That definitely includes the knock box.

And of course, if your box is too much of a PITA to keep clean, get a different box. Or get a different box just because you want it. They're cheap enough, heaven knows.

Finally, back in the Jurassic when knock boxes were invented they were made from a steam table pan with a rubber covered, threaded bolt, held by two nuts as the bar. You could remove the nuts and slide the bolt out, if you wanted. So, your premise that removable bars are a new thing is a mistaken thing. I've been using that kind of knock in my home since coffee was discovered and have very seldom found it necessary to remove the bar -- other than to replace the rubber every decade or so. Just remember that the cleaner you keep your box, the easier it will be to keep clean.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Marshall

#7: Post by Marshall »

bigbad wrote:Check out this knockbox. Nothing special... other than the fact that the bar appears to be detachable. I haven't seen another knockbox with a detachable bar, and when I was surfing the net a year ago for a knockbox with a detachable bar, I remember seeing this model on the internet. Apparently, it was a post indicating that this was the knockbox all the folks were talking about at some coffee convention. So at the time, it wasn't for sale yet. Really? After all these years, somebody just thought of this now?

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Cafela ... 800-06.htm
Paul Pratt, the owner of Cafelat and occasional poster here, has been selling boxes with detachable bars for years. His previous design, the Bumper, included a length of replacement rubber for the bar.
Marshall
Los Angeles

boar_d_laze

#8: Post by boar_d_laze »

I apologize if you believe I implied you were a slob. The post certainly could have been more diplomatic. And, if it's a comfort, I learned the hard way.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

DavidMLewis

#9: Post by DavidMLewis »

While I have enormous respect for Paul Pratt, and his knock boxes are beautiful and work well, he was not the first to commercialize something like this. I have had one of these for many years now, and at AUD$39.95 retail nothing comes close. Only trouble is that you can only find them in Australia and New Zealand.

Best,
David

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

I don't care for any knockbox that I have to look at sitting on my counter. I have 2 of these cheap & simple knockboxes & each one sits in a drawer under the counter.

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... /knockbox2

Easy to empty & clean plus I never have to look at a pile of ugly pucks. Before I get the inevitable "but you'll get mold inside the drawer area from the steam coming off the puck" post I'll tell you that that has never happened in the 4 years I've used this set up.
LMWDP 267