Whose paddle Linea is this?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
aindfan

#1: Post by aindfan »

This article seems New York based, with comments from Ken Nye (and a caption identifying a Robur as his). Does anyone know if that paddle group Linea is in one of the Ninth Street Espresso shops, and if so, which one?

The picture of the machine is here: http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/g ... G_0671.jpg

Thanks - if it's in NYC and really something worth seeing (tasting, really: is there a difference from the other LM-based Ninth Streets?), I'd make the trip downtown.
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203
PSA: Have you descaled lately?

JmanEspresso

#2: Post by JmanEspresso »

Sorry, Idk where that machine is located, but if anyone knows, Id also be interested.. The city is but a quick drive for me.

Gotta say though, the Linea looks cool with the paddles.. Though im PRAYING that shot in the pick is a cleaning shot after a backflush.. That is one blond shot there.

How does one go about getting a Paddle Linea? Special Order I presume?

Advertisement
bsalinas

#3: Post by bsalinas »

According to the LM blog, it belongs to Ninth Street
http://lamarzoccousa.wordpress.com/2009 ... nd-coffee/

-Ben

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by uscfroadie »

JmanEspresso wrote:Though im PRAYING that shot in the pick is a cleaning shot after a backflush.. That is one blond shot there.
Amen brother! That is one shot that is way overextracted.
Merle

Phaelon56

#5: Post by Phaelon56 »

JmanEspresso wrote:Though im PRAYING that shot in the pick is a cleaning shot after a backflush.. That is one blond shot there.

Amen brother! That is one shot that is way overextracted.
I wouldn't get overly concerned... it's pouring straight into the drip tray :lol:

aindfan (original poster)

#6: Post by aindfan (original poster) »

The blondness of the shot didn't worry me. I have seen baristas slide out the cup, pour the latte/capp, and then turn the shot off whenever they get around to it (the extra ounce(s) of water won't hurt anyone, right?).

Does anyone know which of the Alphabet City shops it's in?

Any comments on the flavor difference of a "regular" Marzocco shot vs. a paddle group shot?

Thanks for the replies!
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203
PSA: Have you descaled lately?

bsalinas

#7: Post by bsalinas »

Does anyone know which of the Alphabet City shops it's in?
I'd guess it is the one actually on 9th st. It doesn't look deep enough to be the Tompkins Square shop.

Worst case scenario, try them both (as those two are just a few blocks from one another)

Advertisement
shadowfax

#8: Post by shadowfax »

aindfan wrote:Any comments on the flavor difference of a "regular" Marzocco shot vs. a paddle group shot?
Paddle shots are 'cooler.' Plus, the barista has more fun pulling it.

Seriously... the paddle's a gimmick compared to the value of a top notch barista and awesome coffee, and if you can find those it won't matter if it's a paddle group Marzocco or an E61 Legend. And yes, I've pulled a few paddle shots in my lifetime, and enjoyed those pulled by a competition-class barista using a paddle group linea. They rate on par with the shots I've had from 'plain jane' FB70s and GB5s.
Nicholas Lundgaard

JmanEspresso

#9: Post by JmanEspresso »

Plus, I think its damn near impossible to rate a "paddle" shot against a "normal" shot, even if the non-paddle machine offers some type of preinfusion.

The possibility with a paddle are theoretically endless, although in practice, that doesnt hold 100% true.

If you have a LM Linea shot, and a Paddle shot with no pre-infusion, yeah, the shots will be pretty similar, all things being equal. But, the point to which you can manipulate the pressure with a paddle exceeds what you can do without a paddle group, so, with that, I say its impossible to compare the two. BUT, I dont think one is going to better then the other, just different. And the paddle is fun to use as well :)

malachi

#10: Post by malachi »

I think that it would be wise to first taste shots from each before speculating on the differences between them.
What's in the cup is what matters.