What's your office coffee setup?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
GVDub
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by GVDub »

Full blown espresso bar in the cubicle or stealth coffee-making? Or somewhere in between?

When I decided that I couldn't stomach the coffee service swill (Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf office service) that's provided for us at work, I decided on an Aeropress. I've been using a cheapo (as in $50) La Pavoni bean crusher on either my own roasts or fairly fresh roasted beans from the local Whole Foods (who roast on premises), but have a PeDe hand grinder I found on Ebay on the way for a more even grind. Lots of people ask about the Aeropress, and a number of other folks are thinking of picking up their own. Once I figure out what I'm doing with my new Caravel, I may just start looking for a second one or a La Peppina to keep at work.
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#2: Post by RapidCoffee »

Baratza Virtuoso grinder and French press or Aeropress, depending on how clumsy I've been. :evil: Best beans I can find.

I tried a superauto last year for the convenience, but couldn't stomach the swill. Others in my department love it. :roll:
John

Advertisement
coffeefrog

#3: Post by coffeefrog »

A cafe a block and a half away with a Mistral and a very good line in sandwiches and Portuguese tarts... I schedule meetings there.
LMWDP #15

JonR10

#4: Post by JonR10 »

My former job was at a company with a more relaxed environment and I had a slew of coffeedrinkers in my office every day (ocassionally to include the division director). There I was able to do pretty much as I pleased and so I kept a Baratza Virtuoso, a pair of Bunn Coffeemakers, and a few airpots to serve from.

Then I made a career move to a new company in January. Now I work in a big corporate HQ building. The environment here is more formal and the rules are a bit more strict (no electrical appliances or open flame burners allowed). So my setup is now a PeDe hand grinder and a Bodum double-wall glass French press with a thermos for serving. I use a large Pyrex measuring cup to boil water in the microwave

I feel like the coffee I'm making is better, but it's a bit more effort...
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

EricL

#5: Post by EricL »

I'm lucky enought to work from home, so unless I'm on the road, it's the home setup.

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

The Caravel and hand grinder is not only a good office combo, it pretty much sets the standard for espresso (at least in my naive opinion). Purely stepless grind, kettle temperature +/- 1 degree, and user-defined pre-infusion. BUT, no milk, unless you get a MR. Coffee steam espresso maker, or an Ikea frother (which works fairly well). The Caravel, paired with the frother, is my planned "field ecology" duo for upcoming field season.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

EricL wrote:I'm lucky enought to work from home, so unless I'm on the road, it's the home setup.

Same here, can't beat the commute!
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
ManSeekingCoffee

#8: Post by ManSeekingCoffee »

I like the point about a good cafe a short hop away. That's my fall back and where I go for espresso. I use my Kitchenaid Proline in the office and either a big French Press when brewing for a small group (I'm trying to convert the others from their heathen/preground/aged coffee ways) or the Bodum Bistro mug press if it's just me. Recently, I've also been bringing in a plastic pour over cone to change things up a little. As much as I enjoy a cup of coffee from the aeropress, I just can't stand the thing. So messy and so much work for not enough payoff.

I actually tried to make the kitchenaid a kitchen donation - useable by all and so the office could upgrade to whole bean coffee. I got shot down because it would be too messy. :?

zin1953

#9: Post by zin1953 »

A bit of an explanation may be in order. I left the wine trade after 35 years, and presently work in my wife's law office -- she is a sole practitioner (Criminal Defense), so there is really just the two of us, plus a part-time bookkeeper/notary. So I'm everything from "Her Man Friday" to "Office Manager" to receptionist to quasi-paralegal to writer-and-server of subpoenas . . .

If nothing else, this gives me a lot of leeway! :wink:

So, the present OFFICE setup is as follows:
  • Ala Di Vittoria La Valentina automatic (1st-Line);
  • Cimbali Max Hybrid (Chris' Coffee Service);
  • Arrarex [orange] Caravel (private sale);
  • Bumper knockbox and Bumper 58mm Tamper (Chris' Coffee Service);
  • unidentified 45mm tamper (for the Caravel).
In addition I have sitting in the office, unplugged for the moment:
  • Olympia Cafferex, built in 1989 (eBay)
  • Nuova Simonelli MCF grinder (1st-Line)
  • 49mm tamper (Espresso Parts NW)
Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Espin

#10: Post by Espin »

The office supplies a cheap Bunn, sugar, and whatever can of preground was on sale - variously MJB, Hills Bros., or Maxwell House.

I have a few Hotshot water heaters there to use with my Aeropress, and a guy who likes his presspot brought in his Zassenhaus knee mill. We take turns buying from local roasters.