What's your day job? - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
JR_Germantown

#21: Post by JR_Germantown »

IT manager, FedEx.

Jack

old442

#22: Post by old442 »

Currently Operations Manager for a logistics and archives company.
Before that Production Manager, Production Control Manager and Process Engineer at a high tech circuit board fabricator.
Before that sales, applications engineering and technical support at a flowmeter manufacturer.
Before that multiple Production Manager jobs in electronics assembly.
Kurt
LMWDP 114

cannonfodder
Team HB

#23: Post by cannonfodder »

I keep all the flashing lights green.

Dave Stephens

gscace

#24: Post by gscace »

Yowdee:

Mechanical engineer here (go figure). I work at the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology). Here at the National Institute of Slow Thinkers (Slogan - give us a while and we'll figure out something that sounds ok anyway) I work in humidity standards research. We measure humidity from extremely dry values of interest to electronic component manufacturers (less than 1 part per billion of water vapor in a carrier gas) to dew points well above the atmospheric pressure boiling point, supporting fuel cell development. At NIST we are concerned with making very accurate measurements, and also in being able to produce calibration gasses with specific amounts of water vapor in them. We do this in a way that is linked to the thermodynamic properties of water (both liquid water and ice) by flowing a constant temperature stream of gas over water or ice at constant temperature and pressure. We're able to do this with temperature uncertainty of less than 0.005 degrees C and pressure uncertainty of around 15 Pascal (0.002psi), giving us calibration gass with water vapor uncertainty less than a tenth of a percent. The purpose of developing and maintaining this capability is to provide various industries with a means of calibrating critical instrumentation specific to the industry. For example, the semiconductor manufacturing industry loses millions of dollars due to manufacturing defects directly attributed to water vapor contamination of the gasses used to etch silicon. The level of water vapor that causes problems can be less than 100 parts per billion, which is REALLY hard to measure, let alone produce as a calibration gas. This particular industry struggles mightily with water vapor because water molecules are everywhere, they are very sticky, tending to grab hold of pretty much everything, and it's damn hard to measure water vapor concentrations that are so dry. We've developed thermodynamic methods of generating calibration gasses with this sort of humidity and also laser-based measurement techniques that allow us to accurately make these sorts of measurements.

Well temperature and pressure measurement and control, water evaporation, pressure vessels, etc sound like coffee, don't they. A lot of the stuff surrounding coffee process control is pretty easy for me to work on.

Before working at NIST I worked in motor racing as a mechanic and engineer for Bill Scott Racing in the late '70s and early 80s. We were a pretty successful team that did contract work for Ford (IMSA GTP Turbo Mustang program in 1981, SCAA Trans-AM in '82 and '83), Volkswagen ('80 thru '84), in addition to fielding our own team in a training series supporting Indy Car racing (CART) called Formula Super Vee, which was similar in a lot of respects to the European Formula 3 series.

Before motor racing i worked in a bunch of machine shops as a machinist.

There ya go.

-Greg

julioale

#25: Post by julioale »

Director of Facilities Management, University Of Puerto Rico

ntwkgestapo

#26: Post by ntwkgestapo »

Greg, I KNEW there was a reason (other than espresso! :D) that I liked you! Super-V! Amazing cars towards the end of the series! as complex as any CART/USAC/F-1 car as far as the aerodynamics, chassis and suspension... Just not as powerful (alto they got a LOT out of those 1.6 liter engines!)...
Steve C.
I'm having an out of coffee experience!
LMWDP # 164

Niko

#27: Post by Niko »

cannonfodder wrote:I keep all the flashing lights green.
Man that is one big espresso machine behind you!
How many groups?

OK, I'll play...
I'm a wedding and event photographer.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#28: Post by cannonfodder »

That is the easiest way to describe what I do. When someone asks and I actually explain it, the eyes glaze over and in the end they say 'OK, so you are the computer guy'. In all fairness, that is the data center not my local office, I only have one rack of local computers and a couple racks of network/telco equipment.

If you really want to know, I am the local IT manager for M&M Restaurant Supply. We supply everything but the kitchen sink for McDonalds restaurants in most of Ohio, Indiana, northern Kentucky and West Virginia along with Chipotle Mexican grill (around 600 restaurants out of my facility) with other offices in northern Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania. Our parent company KeystoneFoods LLC also does beef and poultry production as well as international distribution for McD's (all of Australia, most of the UK, South America, Asia Pacific etc).

I support the local end user systems, servers, LAN, VOIP, as well as assist with the other facilities. I keep the flashing lights green, amber bad, green good (most of the time). Before that I was a sysadmin at Wright Patterson AFB, before that I did CAD work for the Department of the Interior laying out networks, before that CAD work for a contractor doing military and commercial aircraft engine manuals for GE, and before that...
Dave Stephens

radish_beans

#29: Post by radish_beans »

In my previous life I was a software engineer for JP Morgan. I've now packed it in and I'm planning to open my very own espresso bar.

Currently fretting over espresso distribution techniques, writing a business plan and experiencing the odd "what the hell have I done" moments :?

danblev

#30: Post by danblev »

Nice thread.

I'll keep it simple.
Software developer for over 20 years in various companies and areas.
I started out writing software for process control (e.g. PID) and now I write testware (software used to test software products).
In the future I'll be a roaster (if I can only close on a name for the rosterie).
--
Danny