What makes an excellent coffee cup?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
kuoyen

#1: Post by kuoyen »

Hi - What do you all think makes a excellent coffee cup?
Here are some criteria I think of:
1. Size (e.g. 3-4oz for espresso shot, 3-4oz for macchiato, 5.5/6oz for cappu, 10/12oz for latte)
2. Shape
3. Color (I once read that the inside better be white no matter what color the outside is)
4. Weight
5. Thickness of the wall (is the thicker wall really better?)
6. Ability to hold the temperature (what's the general expectation?)
7. Material (e.g. stoneware, porcelain, fine china, bone china - do they really make difference?)
8. The place of production (does the cup made in Italy is really better?)
9. Durability (I guess this might matter more for commercial use than regular home use...)

What do you think about these and how will you rank the importance of each one? Besides the size, I am not sure if the criteria would also be different for espresso, macchiato, cappuccino and latte (these are what I normally drink.) If they are different, I would also like to know what you think the difference should be.

Thank you!

Yen-Chen

Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

-Looks.
-How it feels on your lips.
-Ear design

That's about it really.
If the cup doesn't retain heat as well, just drink it faster.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Bushrod

#3: Post by Bushrod »

WTH is a "cappu"?
Rich A

LMWDP #131

shadowfax

#4: Post by shadowfax »

Bushrod wrote:WTF is a "cappu"?
'Don't ask me again or I'll Capp U'?

But seriously, the word "cappuccino" is the first thing that came to mins. Is it not the first that came to yours? I'm torn between wondering if you've been losing a lot of boxing matches lately, or you're just trying to belittle a slang reference to the morning cappa? :lol:
Nicholas Lundgaard

Bushrod

#5: Post by Bushrod »

Hencftrh, I wl be onl typng in abbrev.
Rich A

LMWDP #131

shadowfax

#6: Post by shadowfax »

Very well then. I am going to mark you down for "lost too many boxing matches."

Anyway, I'll post my opinion of Italian (name brand, ACF, Nuova Pointe, Ancap, etc.) cups vs. off brand (typically Chinese, e.g. Vertex that EPNW sells for cheap). I've dropped a number of cups in my time. I've dropped at least 6 or 8 cups from varying heights. 2 of those cups were cheap cappuccino cups that I had given to me; 1 of them was a vertex cup from EPNW. All three of these cups were identical, and all three of them broke when dropped. One of those I believe was dropped from the counter onto the linoleum floor, but the others fell out of my hands while picking them up off of my Valentina, falling from about 17" down to the counter. Now, the rest of the cups that I've dropped have been name brand cups... one I dropped a cup from a cabinet above my machine, and it bounced off the top RIM of my Vetrano, and into the stainless sink. I was so for sure the cup would break, but there wasn't so much as a chip on it! :shock:

I've been extremely impressed by the build quality of my name brand cups; I don't think I'd ever buy a 'Made in China' cup again, until they improve their reputation above the level of "bargain bin manufacturer." YMMV, naturally.
Nicholas Lundgaard

kuoyen (original poster)

#7: Post by kuoyen (original poster) »

Bushrod wrote:WTH is a "cappu"?
It's typo. CAPPA!

toma

#8: Post by toma »

shadowfax

#9: Post by shadowfax »

kuoyen wrote:It's typo. CAPPA!
Yen Chen, honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't make a habit of using either term, but it's not particularly uncommon, nor is it a 'newbie' slang term, although 'cappa' is indeed more common. I'd say that either rendition is about on par with "WTF" or "WTH" in terms of the level of English that is common to internet fora, so I am not sure why it was even brought up. :?
Nicholas Lundgaard

RegulatorJohnson

#10: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

i was about to enjoy an espresso in my sweet marias skunk cup.

i was holding the cup by the handle about to sip and the cup fell off the handle, which stayed in my hand. the cup broke in half and espresso esploded (intentional typo) all over the kitchen.

jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA