Water softening setup questions

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
NeedBeans

#1: Post by NeedBeans »

I'm close to finally upgrading my machine (!) and I've read a fair amount of the posts about water softening but I have two questions. I suspect the first is a matter of preference but thought I'd check to see what people thought.
  • 1) For a variety of reasons* I will not be plumbing the machine in and will use the in-machine tank instead. My question is, am I better off using an in-tank softener or should I setup an under counter softening system to serve the faucet next to the machine? I guess what I am asking is if one of these inherently superior to the other. (My GH is 214 and KH is 130 per "Randy's" Aquarium Pharmaceuticals GH+KH kit.)
  • 2) Maybe I'm in the minority but my municipality sources their supply from both well and surface water, and the mixture ratio can vary at any point during the year. So if I setup some kind of softening system I imagine I would need to retest my water on a periodic basis (monthly?). This seems like a major hassle and so I was wondering if others have this situation how they deal with it.
Paul

*I know most here will think it better for me to directly plumb my machine but given my low usage volume (8 to 15 double shots per week) and my unwillingness to drill through new granite countertops I am ruling this option out.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." —Oscar Wilde

pShoe

#2: Post by pShoe »

I'd recommend using treated RO water or bottled water that is already in ideal pH, TDS, and alkalinity range. In tank softeners are mediocre. I've been there and I wouldn't bother with them again. Buying bottled water vs. the upfront cost of a good plumbed-in/under the counter water system + replacement filters came out to be a wash. If a plumber is needed to install a new water source the bottled route could easily be the cheaper option.

That said, I will eventually plumb in my machine. The in-line pre infusion is nice, and convenience factor can't be over looked.

Crystal Geyser, sourced from Olancha Peak or Norman are near perfect. When they show up in my local Big Lots or Office Max I buy as much as a shopping cart will hold.

Advertisement
NeedBeans (original poster)

#3: Post by NeedBeans (original poster) »

Thanks. I've read about Crystal Geyser in the Water FAQ but have not looked to see if Olancha Peak or Norman sourced is available locally. I'll take a look.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

I have two articles on my website which document plumbing a machine in with JG parts along with the water softener from CC:
Plumbing in an Espresso Machine - Part 1
Plumbing in an Espresso Machine - Part 2

As you will see, I set this up with a tap at the sink as well as running it to the espresso machine. You could just set it up with the sink-tap only. Using the JG fittings, if you later decide to plumb the machine it would be an easy matter of adding whatever is needed.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

BenKeith

#5: Post by BenKeith »

I know this is a coffee sight and not about aquariums but, might want to check out the filtration systems at Bulk Reef Supply. They are excellent systems and very reasonable prices on replacement filters/materials. I have two and my son has two and have been very happy with them. One note though, if you don't have at least 60 psi pressure and thinking RO, also be thinking booster pump. Saves a whole bunch on waste water.

NeedBeans (original poster)

#6: Post by NeedBeans (original poster) »

• 2) Maybe I'm in the minority but my municipality sources their supply from both well and surface water, and the mixture ratio can vary at any point during the year. So if I setup some kind of softening system I imagine I would need to retest my water on a periodic basis (monthly?). This seems like a major hassle and so I was wondering if others have this situation how they deal with it.
Anyone have any thoughts on the second question? (Surface water has low TDS and well has very high.)