"Water For Coffee" book discussion

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood & Christopher Hendon have written a book about water, "Water For Coffee" which is now available for pre-order at {waterforcoffeebook.***Mod note: This link goes to a malware site - July 2023} for £26.99. With international shipping to the USA and with the current currency conversion performed by PayPal, this worked out to be $56.32 USD for me this morning.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this book. I did buy the SCAA Water Quality Handbook but have gotten bogged down it the chemistry and haven't finished it yet.

Here's some links to Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood on water in Home-Barista from previous articles and videos to whet your appetite.

Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood on Water

Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood's water article in Barista

Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood on the complexities of water and flavor [video]
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

I was hoping that they would do it as an eBook as previously advertised. The friggin' shipping cost me almost $20CA.

Some presentations by Christopher H. Hendon: http://people.bath.ac.uk/chh34/presentations.html
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

NoStream

#3: Post by NoStream replying to baldheadracing »

As much as I'd love to read this book, I have the same problem. I very well might end up paying, though.

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

If it makes the next 4 bags of coffee a person buys taste better, the ROI will be worth it.

Playing devil's advocate though, I wonder if its a $56 lesson to be told to use higher magnesium, lower bicarbonate brewing water? Personally, I don't suspect a sophomore effort from him, I imagine it will be quite useful.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

If the book is small enough to be read leisurely over a week or so, and will fit inside a USPS Priority mail small flat rate box, then I'll start a pass with my copy.

CHHendon

#6: Post by CHHendon »

Hi guys,
Thank you for the interest in our work.

It has taken quite a long time to get this book to print (nearly 2 years). The book has had input from many designers, so it looks good. It has been peer-reviewed by other scientists, so it is pretty serious. It has also been proofed by many non-scientists, so it reads well.

I sincerely hope you enjoy it, but also learn a lot from it. I am more proud of this than I am of my own PhD thesis.
With regards to the formats it is available in, we elected, in the end, to go for a printed version only. There are many reasons for this but the most pertinent being that:

i) the book looks and reads much better as a real life book.
ii) the people who read this book will value it as an educational object.
iii) I did not want any digital imagery of our 'money shot figures' available for download because we don't have a legal team strong enough to chase things down.

I realise that it is quite expensive for a book that on face value is about coffee and water. I hope that upon reading it, you will realise that this is way more than that. I would like to think that we've written it with an assumed base knowledge of nothing, and by the end you should be at least as capable as a 1st year university student. It is for the enthusiast, the barista, the roaster and the curious.

From Maxwell and I, thank you again for the interest in our work. I am excited to be able to teach chemistry to such a broad audience.
C. H. Hendon
Department of Chemistry
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

brianl

#7: Post by brianl »

I'm sure the topics will be discussed on the forum so I'm not so sure of your reason number 3. Unless, you plan to go the route, or use methods, of another refractometer manufacturer around here. However, I can appreciate wanting to preserve aesthetics and will probably end up buying the hardcopy if it's sold in the US.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

CHHendon wrote:Hi guys,
Thank you for the interest in our work.
Thank you for the post! I look forward to reading to reading the book.
CHHendon wrote: <snip>.. by the end you should be at least as capable as a 1st year university student. It is for the enthusiast, the barista, the roaster and the curious.

From Maxwell and I, thank you again for the interest in our work. I am excited to be able to teach chemistry to such a broad audience.
Having lost all interest in organic chemistry after 1st year, I don't think that I can say that I am excited to be taught chemistry - sorry! :wink:

What I hope from the book is to find potential corrective actions based on official water reports and the test kits that the aquarium hobbyists use (for example, Salifert's).

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Looks like the book goes to print on Monday, according to this tweet.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

OldNuc

#10: Post by OldNuc »

Well, we will see what he has to say in detail sometime in September if all goes well. From the info on the site it sounds like a detailed discussion of how to control and/or modify the taste of coffee by manipulating the brew water chemistry. It will be interesting.